Fava Bean and Chicken Soup Recipe
Use up leftover chicken to prepare this hearty cold weather chicken soup. This page contains a fava bean and chicken soup recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is my favourite chicken soup for the colder months. The fava beans soften and soak up all the flavours, almost mimicking a pasta of sorts. We call this the clean-up soup, too, because it uses up leftover chicken pieces, bones and just a few veggies.
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 4 servings
- leftover roast chicken scraps and bones
- 1/2 cup soaked, dried fava beans
- 2 mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 head of cauliflower, stem included
- 1 turnip
- In a large pot, cover the chicken scraps with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer. Cook for one hour.
- Strain and separate the broth from the rest of the chicken. Go through the chicken bits and separate the meat from the bones. Set the meat pieces aside in a bowl.
- Clean and dice the remaining veggies. Add to the broth along with the drained fava beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer another hour. Add chicken pieces at the end. Garnish with parsley and lemon, if desired. Serve.