Feed Dogs Button Stuck on Kenmore Machine?

I just found a beautiful Kenmore 158.523 machine, but the button on the machine bed will not turn to lower the feed dogs. Any idea how I can get this to turn?

Thanks.

Sometimes, with a machine that has sat around a while, the grease/oil for the feed dogs and/or buttons/knobs, gets old and gummy. Try giving the machine a thorough cleaning and oiling as per owners manual. If you don't have a manual, here is a link to your kenmore machine's manual you can download for free: www.searspartsdirect.com/.../kenmore-158523-mechanical-sewing...
Give extra attention from top and from underneath at the feed dogs and knob/button...extra lubrication and trying to move the knob/button may free it up. To get to the underside, you may have to remove part of the bottom of machine. Here is a link to info on stuck feed dogs: www.quiltingboard.com/.../stuck-feed-dog-knob-buttons-t250416... . Good luck and happy sewing.

Thanks so much for the info and web site links I will give it a try

I have a machine that I allowed to sit a very long time and this has happened to me. I tried to add a bit of oil to the machine to see if I could get it working again or not.

it did not help. I had t take my machine back to the repair shop and have it fixed again. I think the piece froze or rusted in mine and it sounds like this has happened to your machine. My fix was not very expensive and yours should not be either.

You may have to take it in for service but try this first:
Take a hair dryer and turn it on med/hot and aim heat toward the parts affected. Move it around for a few minutes just being sure the heat is hitting the problem area - around the button in this case.
Sometimes the gunk has built up and this may loosen it enough to be able to turn it. It may take a few minutes (let the button cool and do not burn yourself trying to move it too quickly).

Try it several times and if it moves at all you know it's gunk so keep trying.
If this works it's time to clean that area and reoil if necessary but do not use any type of oil but sewing machine oil - NO WD40 please.

Sine your machine is a Kenmore, Sears Service Center may be a good place to check for cleaning services. Ask for an estimate.
www.service-center-locator.com/.../sears-service-center.htm

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesNovember 9, 2020
🍂
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Feed-Dogs-Button-Stuck-on-Kenmore-Machine.html