Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

It can be difficult to get the right amount of daily feedings with the right proportion of nutrients for this big breed. Get tips on feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff in this guide.

My Neapolitan Mastiff turned 5 months old. I've kept him on a vegetarian diet, as the climate in India is hot and humid in the summers. I feed him boiled carrot, beet root, spinach, chic peas, french beans, and parsley mixed with rice twice a day. Also, I feed him roasted semolina with milk, 1 banana, and 1 boiled egg at breakfast and curd rice in the afternoon. He is 27 kgs. (59 1/2 lbs.) and looks very skinny. I don't know if it's enough.

By ganesh marke from Mumbai, India

Answers

I'm not an expert, but I suspect the dog needs much more protein. Wild dogs wouldn't be eating all those vegetables, so it seems logical to me that a domesticated dog would need a lot of meat. I don't understand . . . why do heat and humidity affect giving him meat? Also, one of the archived comments below mentions the amount of fat in their diet. Based on what you've told us, this large dog is getting all his fat from just one egg yolk a day.

Have you done an internet search on neapolitan mastiff? Here is what I got.
http://www.goog  p;rlz=1I7GGIH_en

Please take a look. There are lots of websites, and I bet there is information and message boards with discussions about their diets. And it wouldn't hurt to consult with a veterinarian.

Like I said, I'm not an expert. It has been ages since I had a dog, but when I did they got a lot more protein than yours is getting (and they were smaller animals, too). Good luck with your dog!

Anonymous

Actually, dogs are carnivores. As far as the veggies are that's okay but he needs more protein. I don't know what is available in India but fish oil is good for them. I have fed my dogs sardines mixed in there food or omega 3 capsules once a day. I would leave the milk alone and mix the rice, veggies, chicken, liver or beef in your dog food. He needs more food then you are giving him. Is he on a parasite medicine? Check his stool for worms. You can buy Timberwolf organics lamb and venison. It is #1 and feed a 25 pound dog 4 cups per day.

Take him to a vet and have him checked out right away to see if he is healthy would be my best advice. Then take his or her advice on your breed of dog as to the best diet or check with your kennel club for advice.

The recomendations from AAFCO via my local vet recommend the following for a large breed puppy. 27% protein (meat, eggs, fish, cottage cheese). 1 to 2.5% calcium, 9 to 12% fat. The remainder should be energy food (carbohydrates and vegetable matter) Puppies under 6 months should be fed 3 times a day, what they will eat in 10 minutes. Over 6 months, puppies should be fed 2 times a day. The diet you are preparing is not supplying enough protein or fat.

You mentioned you restrict protein because the climate is hot. Restricting your puppies protein does not have a large impact on his body temperature, but could really hurt his growth and health. Dogs and cats cannot be vegeterians. You would need to find another way to keep him cool. It sounds like you work hard at caring for your puppy. It might be easier to feed a prepared dog food; or be sure to add more protein and fat to his diet. While he is growing so rapidly he may remain thin (thin, not emaciated) until he is a year or so old, and then he will fill out. Good luck with your puppy.

For heavens sake consult your vet. If u dont have one , get one. Your dog needs a primary care doc just as much as u do. You need to have basic care in place now, before your dog needs urgent care . She is the one to consult about your dogs diet.

I have a 45 day old, honey colour, male, Neapolitan Mastiff. I would like to know how many times to feed it in a day and what should his diet consist of? What time should he be fed?

By K. B. Prasad

Answers

Hello, Congrats on your new fur baby. Please call your veterinarian for an appointment. Your baby is over 6 weeks and needs to have his first set of vaccinations. Your Veterinarian will answer any questions you have about the feeding program for your baby. Mastiff's are large boned dogs and may require a special diet.
Have fun with your baby...

I have always loved this breed, the Neapolitan Mastiff. It's always been a dream of mine to have one and make him/her part of my family. I soon will be able to do so! My question is, "what is the best type of food I can get for my Mastiff?" I have 2 mini Schnauzers right now and I have them on grain free kibble from Merrick's. I also have read that it's not good to feed a Mastiff puppy, puppy kibble either. Anyone who is willing to give advice or recommend certain diets, please do so. I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

By Angie Nuez S. from Riverside, CA

I have a 4 month and 20 days old Neopolitan Mastiff. He weighs around 27 kgs., but he looks very skinny and his hip bones are visible. I fed him Royal Canin (giant babydog) and lactol till now.

Recently I started giving him homemade food. I mix a half kg of minced chicken with 250gms of carrot, 250gms beet root, 100gms spinach, and 4 garlic cloves. I boil and mix it with rice in small proportions. I give the mix 2 times a day, plus curd rice between the 2 meals. Kindly suggest if it's OK.

By ganesh marke

Answers:

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

The CKC had an interesting article in this month's magazine re; raw diets, and the risks to handlers of salmonella poisoning.

http://www.dogsincanada.com/ and

http://www.deltasociety.org/rawdiet
(03/27/2011)

By Leigh

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

It depends how you want to keep the dog. Most people keep the dog lean and active for the first year and that is advisable. A plump dog will be more prone to joint disorders. My dog is four months old and weighs a healthy 27 kgs., but looks lean. Consult a good vet. (03/28/2011)

By ganesh marke

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

At first glance I would say your home made food might lack enough fat. If you are including the skin on your chicken you are supplying some fat, but possibly not enough. That would certainly affect an animal's weight. I have fed homemade food for many years with great success. I would be inclined with a dog as young as yours with as high a nutritional requirement as yours to feed a top quality dog food and use homemade as a supplement while he is still growing. (03/28/2011)

By Lizzyanny

I have a Neapolitan Mastiff and I am unsure on whether I'm feeding her the right amount of food. She has lost weight recently and does not look like the Mastiffs on the internet. I love her to bits and I'm so worried. I have had her at the vet's and he's said that she's fine.

Bucky from England

Answers:

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

I think you should find a small pet store, the kind that won't sell food that's in the super stores, and take her in. A lot of times people think little stores are more expensive, but that's not true. And they will know a lot about keeping your dog in good health without having to pay for a vet. They will also tell you when its time to see a vet too. (11/13/2006)

By Melissa

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

Melissa had some good advice, I always go to a pet store where my "children" can go in with me. Pet stores that allow your pets generally speaking have trained personal that can recommend food types, how often to feed and other things. I would like to add that sometimes dogs go though a gangly stage just like our children. As they grow taller they look thinner, also when they shed. The loss of hair can make them look a little thin. If you have had her to the vet, checked for worms, etc. and he found nothing wrong I would say you are worrying too much. I do that myself. (11/13/2006)

By Glenda

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

We have a Neapolitan/Shepherd mix, she weighs 130 pounds. She gets a can of food for breakfast, and at nite she gets about 1 1/2 cup of dry food and half can of wet food mixed in it. It is better to feed a large breed dog a couple, or 3 small meals a day, due to the fact that they can get intestinal problems with too much food at once. You did not say what your dog's age is, but if it is still in the puppy stage, they will get skinny and gangly, just like any child. If your vet said not to worry, don't. Also watch for hip displaysia, mine has this already and she is only 5, will be 6 on Valentine's Day. Hope this eases your mind a bit. (11/13/2006)

By Rosa

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

Watch her closely; if she wants more, feed her a bit more of pet store better food, but beware that in the US at least, canned pet foods are made from diseased animals. I lost two precious young dogs because I had no idea this was the case. I should have bought and prepared sale meats and stewed veggies for them instead and would still have them today! Good luck and God bless. (11/13/2006)

By Lynda

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

Based on this weblink below they eat like a gallon of food a day

http://www.neapolitan.org/html/faq.html (11/14/2006)

By Brenda

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

There is no need to worry, I have a 4 year old boy, who went through a similar phase. (04/12/2007)

By rap

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

I feed my Neo IAMS Proactive Health Smart, large breed food and I use a pressure cooker to cook whole chickens. Always make sure your dog has fresh water. And make sure when you pressure cook that all the bones have turned to mush the minerals and protein are excellent for the breed also for more info check out the BARF diet. You can google or yahoo search it. (07/02/2008)

By Liz