AdviceHealth & Beauty

Feeling Bad After Quitting Smoking

I've been smoking for five years now. I have quit it, but after quitting I can't breath properly. I feel that my lungs are agitated and shrunken. What steps should I follow to face this problem?

By Rahul

Lungs don't shrink, but you may have already developed something serious like emphysema. However, it does take a few months to recover from smoking -- a short amount of time, really, compared to the years you smoked. I would suggest going to a doctor for a check up to see if you have something serious.

Get checked out by a doctor. They put so much addictive things in cigarettes to keep you smoking you could also be going through a form of drug withdrawal. Ask your doctor. Good luck & don't give up.

I quit smoking a couple of days ago and know what you mean about the sensations from lungs. I told my husband last night it feels as though mine are compressing. I'm also feeling some unusual tiredness. I'd be worried but my GP tells me these symptoms (and a few more, mostly coughing up a lot of icky stuff as my lungs clear) are to be expected.

The coughing hasn't started yet but I'm sure that is coming. The GP said the longer one smokes (I'm ashamed to confess I've just given up a 35 year habit) the longer it takes for the body to rid itself of all the gunk, he anticipates I won't be feeling great again for at least a couple of months.

I will say that I've tried so many times to quit over the years but the cravings always conquered my common sense. The difference for me this time is that I am using a very low dose e-cigarette. Mine looks just like a tobacco cigarette so the peripheral mental addiction to the whole cigarette between the fingers thing is covered nicely. I look over or down and the fake looks so real!

The really nice thing about the e-cig is that using it has completely replaced my interest in smoking a tobacco cigarette. I mean it's stopped that craving cold-I really feel I'm going to be successful this time and finally be tobacco free!

Hang in there, and best wishes in your stop smoking effort, from one quitter to another:)

Take deep breaths and enjoy all that fresh air! Chew gum to help with any oral fixation. Good luck & stay smoke-free!