Finding Financial Assistance for Pet Medical Costs

Category Health
The cost of keeping your pets healthy can be expensive, especially when they need extensive medical or surgical care. This is a page about finding financial assistance for pet medical costs.

My 12 year old dog needs a tumor removed (next to spleen/liver), it is about the size of golf ball. I'm not working and 58 years old. I need low cost surgery assistance. Where do I look locally? Please help soon!

By Bill

Answers

Best Answer

The AAHA hospital accreditation organization has a grant program for low income people. It is administered thru local Vets that are accredited with AAHA. If you are low income (SSI, medicaid, unemployed + foodstamps and others) you can ask for a grant up to $500.

The locally accreditted Vet is limited to granting $500 a year, but it would be worth a shot. Many Vets are affiliated with this group. You can lean more at aahahelpingpets.org.

My dog, Sugar, is in need of surgery for a malignant tumor and needs surgery asap or she could die. Are there any financial services in the metro area of Washington, DC or Maryland that could help me? I am in dire financial need.

By Janet from Hyattsville, MD

Answers

Best Answer

Call your local Humane Society or local government animal control offices and explain your predicament. They may have phone numbers of organizations that may be able to help you. Also, look up veterinary schools in your area, as they may be able to provide you with other leads.

Good luck to you and your Sugar. I wish you well.

Where in the San Fernando Valley, California can I get free vet, grooming, and food for a dog? I will be going to get a rescue dog to be my service dog. I am very low income and handicapped and need this dog for my health, but have no money for vets, food, etc. that my dog will need. If I can't get the things that my dog will need, then I just can't get a dog to help me. Any help you can give me is very much appreciated.

Answers

Need a little clairfication:
Why do you believe you need a service dog?

Will the "rescue" dog you plan to get actually be a specially trained service dog for disabled people or that you plan to have a trainer train a rescue" dog to be your service dog?

There are not many programs that provide free veterinary care, food, etc., for service dogs or any other dogs. However, the Humane Society has a listing of possible low cost or free providers for service dogs and pets. Each has their own requirements so you would have to provide whatever they need to make a decision to provide any benefit. The site is listed below-the first page has a list of all providers in each state so you can scroll down to find providers in your area of California.

www.humanesociety.org/.../search?enabled_terms=&q=where%20to...

You cannot get free food, vet AND grooming for a dog. You may be able to get one of the three, but not all the time.

You have to have a source of income to care for a dog. If you can find a program that will give you a service dog they may also pay for the dog's care, but I somehow doubt it, since programs like this cost money and often rely on donations themselves.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer. Start by contacting organizations that provide service dogs to the disabled. They can give you much more information.

I'm in Eastern El Paso County, Colorado. I live on 723.00 SSI per month. I am disabled. PTSD, Agoraphobia, panic, anxiety and depressive dissorters. I have Fybromayalgia, and am hypoglycemic. I cannot afford a dog. I feel I would benefit as I am alone and spend most of my time sleeping waiting for the days to pass. Can you help me to find the right place. Thank you

If you are a veteran, they will help. At least to get u the dog, training and vet help. They won't pay for food, grooming, etc. Hoping this helps.

I am a veteran and so is my hubby. We are both disabled and so is our daughter. I want to get a service dog for my hubby, do to his mobility and ptsd. Going to ask his doctor for a prescription for the service dog.

The state of CA has a program to help with low income households to "maintain" a service dog. Luckily you mentioned SSI and that is one of the requirements. Here's the website.
www.cdss.ca.gov/Assistance-Dogs

My 3 year old Chihuahua, Shakira, has developed glaucoma in her right eye due to a cat scratch she received awhile back. So, a few weeks ago I had to rush her to the emergency because almost overnight her eye just got so bad, and her eye was bleeding. Shakira was already on medication for her eye, but since her eye became so much worse, the emergency vet changed her medication and also prescribed her pain medication. Shakira needs to have her eye removed and if I don't get her the surgery quickly, the vet indicated that it could possibly spread to her other eye. It would kill me to see her go completely blind, not to mention she has such beautiful green eyes.

Shakira has been through too much already. When she was scratched in the eye by the stray cat that came into our yard. I turned my back just for a second to unload the truck and that's all it took; so off to the emergency we went.

Then, a few months later, I was walking Shakira and out of know where, a Pit Bull came charging and attacked her. The Pit Bull had Shakira in its mouth and all that I remember was that my 5 lb Chihuahua was not going to die like this. I guess my adrenaline was pumped up because before I knew it, I was jumping on this dog, fighting this dog. I shoved my hand and arm in its mouth and just started prying this dog's mouth open. As Shakira dropped to the ground, I swooped her up and immediately I was drenched in her blood and she was going limp. I wrapped her tightly in her blanket to try and contain the bleeding and rushed to the emergency where she ended up staying there for over a week to get her stabilized due to the loss of blood. She also required surgery on her chest to repair the muscle damage. She now has a 3 inch scar down her chest. That was $2,500.

I am currently unemployed and the cost for the recent emergency trip was money to pay household bills, so needless to say a couple of things were turned off. I have run out of money to have her receive the eye surgery which would cost $500, and she has been through too much for such a tiny little dog. She doesn't deserve to be in such discomfort and to possibly lose her sight completely. My question is, is there anyplace that offers funding for pets that required immediate medical attention? Any kind of help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By DO

Please, I need help with my little doggy. Her name is Chiqui and she is 10 1/2 years old. She has had the best quality life that any pet could have. She needs a knee surgery (because of her ligaments). I have taken her to 5 vets and they all charge $1,500 to $3,000. I do not have this kind of money. Please I need help. Now that she is old, she is suffering with this. I feel so sorry for her that she is going to be in pain during her last years.

I live in Kissimmee Florida, do you know any clinic or society that could help me with this? Thank you.

Yamna

Answers:

Have you called your Humane Society? Sometimes they have funds available for helping with various ailments, but in this economy, I don't know. Can you barter for services with a vet by getting an intern to perform and then you working off the rest of the funds? Good luck to you on this, and Bless you for taking good care of your dog! (06/18/2010)

By Tahloolabelle

How about a veterinarian medical college nearby? Maybe they will cut you a break if they can use the dog for teaching students about this medical problem. Check to see if there is a veterinarian college near you. (06/19/2010)

By jill

There's credit card company called Care Credit out of El Paso, TX. See if you can sign up for it over the internet, it's medical care for your pets, your dental, chiropractic, vision, hearing, cosmetic, and veterinary. Their number is 1-866-893-7864 and website is CareCredit.com. You can go up to $3,000, credit line and affordable payment plan.

As with most credit cards these days, the interest rate is high, but if you have no other alternative for your pet; you may want to apply for Care Credit. I signed up for it at my dentist's office, but haven't used it so far. I may in the future. Good luck. (06/19/2010)

By Myrna

Yamna, I have a little Silky Terrier and he twisted his knee jumping off the back steps while chasing the birds. I went to the vet and he said the same thing. But we tried him on a course of Cartrophen and he had this injection every week for 4 weeks. The consultation was around $125.00, and because it was on going treatment, I only had to pay that once. He had the injection and they were approx $20.00 a time.

The vet said this treatment is 99% effective on dogs. Even if your dog does need an operation, ask the vet to try a course of Cartrophen, with a pain killer, it's worth a try. I was like you, it saddened me to see my dog in pain, he is 9 years old and responded well. Hope this helps you. (06/22/2010)

By Michelle

Get some Glucosamine Chondroitin (I get mine at Trader Joe's for $9.99 + tax). It has helped with the pain that 2 of my Shih Tzus had. It will not solve the problem, but will give relief from much of the pain. Now they are active and more comfortable. (06/22/2010)

By Joan

My 10 year old Cocker Spaniel has a torn cruciate in her left hind leg. The Vet said she needed surgery, but I did not want to put her through that at her age. Rest the dog, do not let the dog jump up on anything, and carry her up and down stairs, do this for about 4 weeks. During this time, begin glucosomine/chondroitin supplements, this has worked wonders for my dog. She never had the surgery and she runs around like a puppy! (06/25/2010)

By Blondie

Thank you to all of you for this feedback. All your responses have been a wonderful help for me and my little baby. On her name, thank you so much. God bless you all. (06/25/2010)

By Yamna

Pets HealthAugust 10, 2016
📓
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-Financial-Assistance-for-Pet-Medical-Costs-2.html