Finding a Pro Bono Attorney

Lawyer and client in court
Some law firms allocate some time to taking on cases pro bono. Finding an attorney that will handle your case free of charge is worth the search. This is a guide about finding a pro bono attorney.

I am trying to help two friends find pro bono attorneys. One of my friends is involved in a divorce where the husband has literally left her penniless and unable to afford an attorney. The other one is about to catch his 3rd strike and get 25 to life and has no available help from family and desperately needs an attorney who is not a public defender.

By tntme from Long Beach, CA

Best Answer

I agree with the other poster about your friend and his third strike. He knew what he was getting into. However, for the person going through the divorce, I would call your state's bar association and ask about firms that do pro bono work in your area. Also, you might want to check with your mayor's office or an agency such as the Salvation Army. Often they will have information about available legal aid for those who cannot afford it. I wouldn't just start calling law firms cold and asking. You probably won't get anywhere doing that.

Best Answer

I did my divorce Pro Se, I filed all the paper work at the court house my self. Look up Pro Se on line for your state. It should be free, mine was through the state. Than if she has to get a lawyer towards the end, all of the work has been done, it will not cost as much. Good luck hope every thing goes well for your friend.

Call the attorneys in the phone book. I don't think any of them advertise doing pro bono work. I know they don't here, but some of them do at times. It probably depends on the case being discussed. If your friend is a third time offender, maybe the best thing for him to have is a lengthy jail sentence.

I know if I were an attorney I wouldn't take this case pro bono, when there are public defenders. To begin with you will have to find an attorney that believes your friend is innocent. I have a friend whose husband worked in the local public defender's office, until he got to be a judge. She said when he was preparing to go to court, he was always extremely crabby because it was so hard preparing to convince a jury that the person he was representing was innocent, when you knew positively that the person was guilty as sin.

From what I understand from a friend of mine who is going thru a divorce, she couldn't get a pro bono lawyer unless she was on disability, or social services. She has to use an "associate". But it maybe different in different states.