Finding an Inexpensive House Contractor

I am single, in my 40s, and disabled. I have a very low income. Does anyone know of a construction company or general contractor that has home building knowledge and experience that would be willing to help me build a small house in Brookings, Oregon at a low cost?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I would contact HUD.org or Habitat for Humanity.

I am assuming you own your own property and would like someone to build you a new home. There are programs that will help with this but you would have to qualify. You say you are disabled with a low income so you may qualify. Are you presently on any government assisted programs? Food stamps? SSI or SSDI? This type of assistance usually means you have a better chance of qualifying.

Habitat may not be in your immediate area but that would not stop them from helping you. Here are a couple of sites that you can complete inquires and someone should contact you if they need further information or maybe call you.

http://habitatoregon.org/

http://www.oreg … Pages/index.aspx

I would just like to add that you can contact the American Hope Resources in your area. They are there to help find you financial resources, assistance programs and other benefits.

Most definitely try HUD, or Habitat for Humanity, or even check your local recources for information and/or recommendation. Yes you may have to prove your low income status, but that is far better than many other options. My brother recently tried to find someone "cheap" using Facebook when needing to remodel after a house fire. It did not turn out very well for him because of various things and ended up costing him a lot more than if he'd have gotten a confirmed contractor or recommendation from an accredited source.