First Birthday Smash Cake

It has become popular to give children their very own small cake on their first birthday to do as they will with it. This is a great way to let the baby destroy the cake without ruining the cake for everyone else.

An added bonus is that many grocery stores give free first birthday cakes.

1. Since up until this point my son really hadn't had many sweets, I decided to make him a cake that was less sugar loaded. I did an angel food cake with an Italian buttercream frosting and sliced kiwis on top. I did cupcakes for our guests.
  2. In preparation for the cake smashing, I pinned up a large sheet halfway up the wall and let it drape down. This way I had a way to contain the cake and a nice backdrop for the photos. I didn't want to deal with his birthday clothes getting all messy, so I stripped him down to his diaper.
  3. After singing Happy Birthday and helping him blow out the candle, we set the cake down in front of him on the sheet and let him have at it. He didn't smash into it right way as I had expected. Instead, he slowly picked off and ate each slice of fresh kiwi. But once he tasted the frosting, the cake quickly was devoured.
  4. Clean up was simple. Our son got a bath and the sheet was taken outside to have the crumbs shaken off, then thrown right in the wash.
  5. Ad

Adorable!

Such a cute kid! And those deserts are just beautiful.

Brilliant idea and cute baby!