DoorsHome

Fixing a Sticky Door Lock

The twist lock on my front door is very hard to turn. You have to hold onto the handle and wiggle it back and forth while trying to twist the lock into the locked position. We have no problem opening it with the key just locking it by hand from the inside. Any ideas on how to fix this? Or is it just time for a new knob?

By StellaBell from Manchester, WA

I used to squirt graphite powder in my keyholes when the deadbolts acted up the same way you are describing. I also used it in padlocks-works fantastic. It's not expensive and you can find it in most big box store hardware aisles, or in a real hardware store like Ace.

Whatever you do, WD40 is NOT the answer. It attracts dust, sand, and other grit like a magnet! It will work for a few hours and then start 'gumming'.