Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

I need to replace elastic in some queen sized fitted sheets. Does anyone know how much elastic I will need per sheet? The sheets are perfectly good, but elastic has perished after being in storage for some time. Thank you.

By Nancy from Sydney, Australia

Answers:

Couldn't you use old bra straps that you might not have discarded. Cut the straps off of them and sew to corners of the bed sheets so it would hold on better on the bed. You can even sew them on with an adjustment still on them to level the size of the corners of the bed. (11/16/2009)

By Pam G.

We recently got new adjustable beds so I went out and purchased a number of sheet sets from moderate price to expensive for me. They all have the elastic in a casing, the edges are nicely finished, one with French seams. The elastic goes all around but I am still having trouble with mine popping off at the top. I have very nice mattress covers and they have very thick elastic. I was considering using 3/4 inch, but what is the best brand to use?? Should I used the heavy none roll?? Another thing I noticed on these mattress covers, the elastic appeared to be at least half the actual perimeter. They fit tight and I think a coin could be bounced off of them. That is what I am going for on the sheets. Brand? Type?