BugsPest Control

Flea-like Splinter Looking Bugs on Cats

Category Bugs

I live in a log cabin in the woods. We have indoor cats that never go out. Recently they have gotten bugs that look like black splinters and jump like fleas. It makes them itch constantly. They jump on humans too and bite, but don't make us swell up. I can't get rid of them. Any suggestions?

By Cheryl I.

I don't know what bugs these are but would suggest diatomacious earth dusted into all carpets and soft furniture. About 2 cups per room. Also get some into the fur on the cats. Try not to breathe as it can be an irritant. It is natural. Not a poison.

Another similar would be 20 mule team borax spread in the same manner except you won't be able to put it on the cats. Non harmful. In fact it is a cleaner. Put 1/4 teaspoon of DE in each cats food every day. it will kill any intestinal worms. additionally co Q 10..... 10 mg for every 10 pounds 2 x day 2 weeks kills tapeworms. No need for testing or poisons as all is non harmful.

You would need vet care for your dog if there is heartworm. Stay away from vaccines. They destroy the immune system. If ever you find out what these "splinter like " things are please let us know.

My has those too

I just got two 6 month old kittens given to me i heard if you hve fleas put a bowl of sudsy water close to nite light and they jump in. One flea but several of those black splinter looking things. I live in the city. Best I know these kittens have never been out doors

Indoor cats can get fleas. Especially in rural areas. It is possible that a flea treatment may get the "splinter" bugs.