Fleas in New Apartment

I just moved to my apartment. I have a cat that has never been outside and the apartment has fleas now. My neighbors say that previous tenants did not have pets. A stray cat stuck her nose into our home briefly for food and not long enough to be the one carrying a host. I have alerted the management and they are contacting the company they use however I will have to pay 75 dollars.

First question is should I be responsible? Secondly, my brother and his wife are stopping by to get me for dinner and want to come in and see my place. Should I postpone until this place is treated or since they will not be here but 10 min or less is it OK?

Please help. Thank you so very much.

This is complicated. So first, cancel your visit. I would not invite anyone in until the situation has been resolved. Safety first!

Second, even if the previous owners did not have a pet, is it possible they could inflitrated into your place from another apartment (if there are shared vents and others have pets that could be carriers).

Technically fleas can live for several months without a host, so it is possible they came in through a vent and came out when you and your cat moved in.

Who should pay? That could become a he said/she said if you have a cat with them saying your cat brought them in and you saying your cat never had fleas.

if you have vet bills showing your cat was healthy and never had fleas before, you could try to make a case that they were there when you moved in and your cat caught them there. Then you could ask them to pay the full amount since you should not have moved into a place that had an infestation.

If you can't show your cat was previously flea less (not everyone keeps all their paperwork, I get that), you may want to ask them if they will split the different with you, just for a good faith gesture....I doubt the visiting cat could have brought in fleas that fast, but you never know and if someone saw that happen they could say that was the carrier and it was your fault for letting it in.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck! Post back what happens.

I would not have people come in to a flea-infested place. I dont think you have to pay. Landlords have to pay for that.

Oh no. Your landlord should take care of that immediately. They are not part of your plan!

as far as canceling the visit, it is not as dire as if it were bedbugs or even cockroaches - I don't see the fleas (unless it's a fierce infestation) would affect them overmuch unless they bring their pet. But it may be good to tell them and let them make up their minds. Some ppl might not care and want to come anyway, others might feel icky and want to postpone

as far as the landlord, since the neighbor testimonial is that the previous tenants did not have pets, you may have trouble making a case for yourself unless you choose to spend money on a lawyer and that would probably cost more than $75

find out if some other neighbor in a neighboring unit had pets. Most likely they were just waiting around and saw your cat and came in for the kill. If you can demonstrate some other unit had fleas and they came to infect yourse, you may have a case