Fleas on a Puppy

I bathed my new 6 week old puppy in Dawn because I heard how well it worked, but all the fleas ran to her nose. What can I do?

By Sandra D.

Best Answer

When you bath your puppy or dog always start as far forward towards the head as you can. You can start the bath by just doing around the ears, back of the pup's head and then the neck without putting the pup in water. What I do is mix water and dawn in a measuring cup and then soap up around the ears and neck area before putting them in any other water.

As soon as you put the animal in water the fleas will run for "high ground" which is the head. After getting the neck area soaped I then do the rest of the body making sure that they are fully wet and completely soaped up. Scrub and leave soap on for at least 4 to 5 minutes, then rinse.

Best Answer

This is a old thread but in case someone else comes here looking for an answer! I actually put a ring of the soap around the cat or dog's neck then soak them in the flea bath. So if the fleas run upward they get stuck in the soap ring barrier.

I then take the flea comb that's dipped in the dawn bath water and brush around his/her face and other areas that aren't submerged. It works best if you submerge your cat/dog in a dawn bath for 5+ minutes vs just rubbing the soap on the animal and rinsing.

Not sure if you have resolved your issue yet, but if you start lathering at the dogs neck, the fleas will not and as far I know probably cannot get past the suds. Kind of a barrier so the pesky little jerks can't run from you! ;)

Anonymous

ALWAYS PLACE A RING OF DAWN around the entire neck first. Dawn is safe for animals. It kills the fleas. When my sister gave us an orphan kitten it was loaded with fleas and car oil as the kitten was found under a car that always dripped oil. She lived in a no pet apartment and could not keep the kitten. When I had the kitten, it went straight to the kitchen sink. Grabbed the dawn and placed the ring around his neck the same as ALL flea shampoos state.

Immediately the fleas began dropping. I did not use the dawn for the fleas originally--just the oil. The fleas were gone within 5 minutes. Bonus effect.
RINSE your animals for 3 minutes for every 1 minute you wash them with any shampoo. All shampoos for animals state that it must be completely rinsed. My vet then adds until it is clear; then rinse 5 minutes more.
Hope this helps.