Forcing Tulips

Category Bulbs
Forcing bulbs indoors is a way to enjoy these beautiful blooms early in the season. This is a guide about forcing tulips.

I picked up a couple of bags of tulips last fall and decided to see if I could spring grow them in the house. I put them in the basement fridge for a couple months. Then I moved them to the freezer. I left them there for a couple months, then moved back to fridge. 3 weeks ago, I brought them to the kitchen. 2 weeks ago, we planted them into pots, about 6 in a 6 inch pot. You can do in layers, etc. or just stick them in and cover with potting soil. We used warm water to solve their thirst, like rainfall.

Then I set the pots on an east counter for morning sun. I tried moving them around the kitchen to see what different light would do. In 2 weeks, a couple are 6 inches tall. Some are just starting. So you can force tulips in the house. I need to decide what nutrition goes in next as potted outdoor plants need more iron, they would have gotten from the soil, they show pale when it needs some.

This was an interesting science project with my 4 granddaughters. It also brightens up the kitchen and getting ready for gardening outside when the snow/ice is gone!

I am planning my wedding reception.I want to do live tulips (uncut) so that guests can take them home to plant in their gardens... as the gift. How do I force tulips to grow so that the blooms come in June instead of March? The wedding is not until next year, so I have time to experiment.

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Answers

cut tops off, bag, freeze, take out plant in enough time for them to bloom.