Freezing Cooked Pasta

Category Time Savers
Although pasta is often quicker to prepare than rice or other grains, it can seem to take a long time, especially on busy weeknight dinners. This is a guide about freezing cooked pasta.

I usually make too much pasta when I am serving spaghetti, not wanting to run short. I never know if the child who ate two plates full last week will do so again this time.

An Italian friend who owns a restaurant shared this secret. They make large quantities, drain it, and put it in the cooler to use as it's ordered. All they do is keep a pot of water simmering. When they get an order, they take out as much pasta as needed, dip it into the boiling water, drain and put in on the plate.

I have started doing that with my leftover pasta. In fact, I sometimes intentionally cook up extra to have ready for a quick meal. I freeze the leftovers in serving size bags and just put the frozen pasta in the boiling water long enough to heat it, which is not very long. It tastes good, and there is no waste.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Recently my mom and I prepared some pasta (penne?). Instead of tomato based sauce, we added mixed greens (Southern Greens, chard and mustard from Trader Joe's) that had been sauteed in olive oil, lots of garlic and crushed red pepper, and topped with Parmesan cheese.

We cooked 2 lbs. of pasta. It was way too much for the two of us to eat at one sitting so we put the leftovers in freezer bags and froze them. We have since thawed and eaten the frozen pasta and it was great! I've often wondered if cooked pasta could be frozen. I've finally discovered that yes, it can. It freezes very well. It is very convenient to be able to simply thaw, warm a delicious meal, and there's not much clean-up.

By Jayne from Yountville, CA

Can you freeze cooked pasta? What is the best way to do it? I'd like to cook some meals for a friends whose daughter just passed. Thanks!

Debbie from Waterford, MI

Answers:

Freezing Cooked Pasta

I freeze pasta all the time. Just place cooked pasta in freezer bags and freeze. When needed, open bag and place very hot tap water in bag and also place bag upright in a pot and add hot water. I am the only one in my family who eats pasta, so I cook up a pound and then place serving amounts in each bag. (02/22/2007)

By lorriehoney

Freezing Cooked Pasta

I do the same but I let mine thaw out. I usually put 1/2 - 1 cup in a small ziploc bag and then put those on a large ziplock so I can thaw what I need.

I don't freeze pasta in soup, gets mushy. But I will make the soup, cook pasta separately and then bag it as I stated above. Put the soup and pasta in the same bag so you know you have a complete meal.

I also have frozen cooked spaghetti and it is fine.

An idea is to make the food, freeze it and then cook it and it will taste better than cooked, frozen, and then heated again. (02/22/2007)

By

Freezing Cooked Pasta

Hi, I freeze pasta. It works fine. I cook up the whole box of pasta, then freeze in serving size portions. I heat it in the microwave with the sauce on it. It is great for quick meals. Loretta (02/22/2007)

By lorettab

Freezing Cooked Pasta

Cooked pasta freezes well. Spaghetti, lasagna, etc. Just put in ziplock bags, these are nice because you can lay them flat in the freezer and stack them. You can also freeze in casserole dishes. Make sure they are the kind that can go from freezer to oven or microwave, the kind like Corel or Pyrex. (02/22/2007)

By PICO