Freezing Foods Containing Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise tends to separate when frozen, making freezing food containing it an uncommon practice. This is guide about freezing foods containing mayonnaise.

I made patties with leftover lobster salad (mayo included). I dipped the patties in bread crumbs, fried them, and then froze them. Will the mayo be OK after thawing since it was mixed with the lobster meat and celery?

Best Answer

Freezing the mayo technically wouldn't be unsafe, but from past experience (and Googling around), freezing mayo tends to separate it which leads to some taste and texture problems. You might find the patties to crumble or taste a little off.

(Your recipe sounds yummy, though!)

I, at one time, made a large macaroni salad for a party and was asked to bring something different. So I said I'm going to freeze this in margarine containers...down the road I forgot I had it and took it out, un-thawed it, and it was fine.

So I have been freezing mac salad ever since.