Freezing Imitation Crabmeat

Category Seafood
Imitation crabmeat is simply flavored fish and other ingredients such as starch to help it keep its shape. It can be frozen and is often sold that way. This is a guide about freezing imitation crabmeat.

Can imitation crabmeat be refrozen safely? Local grocery stores tend to sell previously frozen crabmeat. I may not always want to use it immediately.

Charlene from Punta Gorda, FL

Answers

Best Answer

If something is safe to eat, it is safe to freeze , [assuming it is something that may be frozen in the first oplace] although the quality of an item may suffer.

By Bonnie (Guest Post)

I don't know for sure, but I've always believed once something is frozen & thawed, no matter what it is, it needs to be used right away.

By Vicky (Guest Post)

I buy imitattion crabmeat all the time in WalMart and I always freeze it. I don't know if you know it but WalMart will sell you a 2 1/2 pound bag that is still frozen. You can ask for it at the Seafood counter. I take it home and usually it is too much for my husband and I for one meal so I cut it in half and freeze it in 1 of those plain storage gallon bags.

We still have extra after each meal.
Hope this helps
Vicky

By Me (Guest Post)

I buy it & freeze it as soon as I come home. I've done it forever. It thaws at room temp really fast too. But if Im in a hurry I just nuke it. But if you do that take it out of the packaging & put on a plate. That plastic isn't safe to cook in.