Freezing Mirepoix

This classic vegetable combination is a staple of French cooking. The three ingredients are cooked in butter or oil at the start of many dishes to make a base for many dishes. Freezing them in advance will make meal preparation easier and can save the day if you are out of fresh ingredients.

Feel free to mix up the vegetables to make other bases, like bell pepper, onions and garlic. I have also made freezer bags of chopped ingredients for specific soups, saving so much time when preparing dinner.

1. Chop or dice onion, celery and carrots into similar sized pieces and place into individual bowls. I left the leaves in the center of the celery because they add a nice flavor.
  2. Take a 1 cup measuring cup and add the vegetables to a quart size freezer bag. The ratio should be 2:1:1, so 2 cups onion (I did 1 cup white, 1 cup red), 1 cup celery and 1 cup carrot. This is approximately 1 medium onion, 1 large carrot and 2 celery ribs.
  3. Advertisement

4. Seal bag after getting as much air as possible. A vacuum sealer would be best to avoid any freezer burn. Place in freezer for 3+ months, longer if better sealed.

I wound up cutting up a bit more carrots at the end to get another bag of mirepoix. I had extra onions so I froze those separately. Perfect to use when I discover I don't have an onion in my pantry.

6 onions? Not unless you're making 10 gallons of Onion soup. Who came up with that? I would spend a week sitting on the toilet.

I'm not using them all at the same time, I'm freezing them in packets for use later.

What a brilliant idea,im going to do this!thankyou!x

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesApril 14, 2020
😷
🐛
👔
🌻
👒

VegetablesFreezing