InternationalRecipes

Fresh Herb Falafel

When I asked my friends what I should call my falafel recipe, they answered, "Actually Good Falafel." As the story goes, whenever we order falafel from restaurants, they're extremely mushy or so dry they crumble. These are made from dry chickpeas that have been soaked overnight, along with fresh herbs. If you'd like a quick and easy tahini-yogurt dip for your falafel, please see the very last step in this recipe.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 20 small falafel

1. Drain the soaked chickpeas. Place in a food processor with 3 tablespoons of water and puree.
  2. Transfer chickpea puree to a large bowl then add the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Mix very well so everything is evenly distributed.
  4. Use a scooper or spoon to make heaping tablespoon sized portions.Form into little patties.
  5. Heat an inch of oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat.
  6. Fry a few patties at a time in hot oil until browned, about 3 or 4 minutes per side.
  7. Remove with slotted spoon. Allow to drain and cool on a rack.
  8. To make the dipping sauce, mix together 3/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons of tahini, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin.

I have never made this before ! I certainly would love to try :) Thanks.

You are welcome! I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

What are the chances these could be made without frying, Toosa? Have you ever tried baking them?

I have, but they were a bit more dry than I like! It's also best to flatten them more so they're more disc/mini pancake like, and chilled in the fridge before baked. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes, flip once :)

Toosa, your recipes are so out of the ordinary but so easy to follow that I just can't help but want to try them and I have not been disappointed with one yet.

This one is really interesting and I will try it soon but I have to admit that tahini was not something I have ever used so I will have to wait until I locate it at one of my stores.
It sure sounds like an interesting spice(?) - do you use this often?

Hi Betty! Thank you so much for your words! Tahini is a sesame paste and this organic one pictured here is the only one I've found that hasn't made me itchy. So, no, I have typically use substitutes before until I found this gem. To make this tahini yogurt sauce, you can even use sunflower butter in the place of the tahini. Now, before I found this tahini, I did a yogurt dill sauce. If you'd like to try that, here is the recipe:

3/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
juice and zest of half a lemon
1/8 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin

I think you'll enjoy this!

Now that I can try..
And I love sunflower butter.
I will still look for the tahini just in case I want to try it also.

Sometimes we luck into something new and find we like it - right?

Right!! :)