Frosted Banana Bread Squares

These are the most moist banana squares made with butter & cream cheese. The frosting is a burned butter & cream cheese frosting. Together it's just the best snacking cake!

1. Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy. Add softened cream cheese & vanilla. Then fold in the bananas.
  3. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, powder, salt & nutmeg and stir. Add the flour mix to the cream mixture. Add walnuts if you choose. Blend for 1 minute.
  4. Ad

5. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Let the butter turn a delicate brown and remove from the heat.
  7. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, softened butter, softened cream cheese & creamer or milk. Whisk together until all is very smooth. Frosting will be thicker than a glaze but thinner than a frosting.
  8. Using a spatula, frost the bars while still slightly warm. Enjoy!

I will try a modified version of this. With that much vanilla, I wont need nutmeg. And I'll use Neufchatel as I prefer it over regular cream cheese.

Tell me something. I have never browned butter in the way you describe. I have read that it adds a 'nutty' flavor to the butter. Do you agree?

Browned butter does indeed have a slight nutty flavor and I use it in different recipes.

One of my favorites is to drizzle it over bite sized pieces of par boiled cauliflower.

Surprisingly, it's pretty good on popcorn too.