Frugal Dessert Recipes

Category Desserts
You don't have to spend a lot of money to have homemade desserts. This page contains frugal dessert recipes.

This is an old recipe, but it's kind of fun and different!

Directions:

Cube bread. Put into large bowl. Add milk and desired amount of sugar. Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving. Each person adds the amount of berries he so chooses.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 Cool Whip (13 oz.)
  • 1 cherry pie filling (2 0oz.)
  • 1 crushed pineapple, drained (20 oz.)
  • 1 can Eagle Brand milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions

Mix well. Can be frozen. I do not care for nuts, so I leave the nuts out of this and it is still very yummy!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Does anyone have a recipe for sweets that would have been made at home during WW2 preferably in the U.K. I'm a volunteer at our local primary school and WW2 is our topic this term. I'm sure our mothers/grans must have done something occasionally. I've found plenty of "mock" desserts substituting this and that but no sweets. It doesn't matter if they taste vile, the experience is the thing! Thanks!

By Jehosophat Jones from England

Answers

Hat's off to you! It's very important for our younger generations to know what was done in the past to gain the freedom they enjoy today. I hope you can find something in this list to help you with your very worthwhile project -Good luck with it! Let me know if you choose to use one of these recipes and how that goes:)

Siera Star / Crystal River,Florida, USA

Several wartime recipes for sweets: http://www.bbc. … 4/a4439964.shtml
A couple more here: http://www.bbc. … 1/a4538531.shtml
Frugal Recipies from wartime Britain: http://chefmom. … rtimebritain.htm
Actual scanned recipe book pages (To read click on each recipe page to enlarge): http://chessale … wartime-recipes/
Also Interesting: http://www.jewi … uk_rationing.htm

My mother always made potato candy when I grew up. My guess is that may have started in the ww2 era. She was the first woman welder in our town during the war. You could research this. The candy is made from left over mashed potatoes, powdered sugar, and peanut butter.

Two-Egg Cake
Mix together 1/2 cup soft shortening and 1 cup sugar
Beat in thoroughly, one at a time 2 eggs

Sift together 1 3/4 cups sifted All America Enriched Flour, 2 tsp. double-action baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt

Stir into shortening-sugar mixture alternately with 2/3 cup milk and 1 tsp. vanilla

Pour into 2 greased and floured 8" round layer pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in moderate oven (350°). When cake is cool, spread Milk Chocolate Icing (recipe below) between layers and over top and sides.

For Spice Variation
Sift 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. cloves with dry ingredients.

Milk Chocolate Icing

Heat together over hot water until shortening melts 4 tbsp. shortening and 6 tbsp. cocoa

Pour 5 tbsp. scalding hot milk (evaporated or fresh whole)
over 2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp. salt Stir to dissolve completely.

Stir in . 1 tsp. vanilla and
hot cocoa mixture
(Complete mixture will be very thin.) While hot, beat until thick enough to spread and smooth and glossy.
Amount: Icing for two 8-inch layers.

http://recipecu … ategory/rations/

I was a child in England during WWII. Mostly our desserts were made with local fruit, such as apples and plums and our meager sugar ration would go for sweetening them. However, I believe when you say "sweets" you are referring to what we call "candy" here in the U.S. I don't remember my Mother making sweets at home - it would have taken too much sugar. We were allowed a "candy" ration - I believe it was about 8oz. a month, so you can imagine how we looked forward to going to the sweet shop for our treats! Time passes so quickly - can't believe it was so long ago! Good luck to you with your project,

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Thanks to everyone for their help. Joankay was right; I did mean candy. I shall try some of the recipes though and see what reaction i get. Watch this space! Marg.

This recipe was printed on Ritz boxes beginning in 1934, then the use of this recipe peaked during WWII. Now they use it in science classes but I think it fits for you too. This is just one version of the recipe there is another on allrecipes.com but it is called "Chemical Apple Pie", and lots of others on the internet.

Ritz Mock Apple Pie
Makes 8 servings

2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 3/4 cups water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie (divided)

36 Ritz crackers, coarsely broken (about 1 3/4 cups)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In medium saucepan, mix sugar and cream of tartar. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, until syrup is thickened and clear. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and zest. Cool.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Roll out half of pastry to 11-inch circle and use to line a 9-inch (regular-depth) pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in crust. Pour lemon syrup over crumbs, dot with butter or margarine pieces, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Roll out remaining pastry and cover pie. Seal edges and cut slits in top to allow steam to escape. Place pie on a baking sheet lined with parchment.

Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Allow pie to cool before serving.