Fruit Flavored Syrups

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Strawberry syrup being poured over a scoop of ice cream.One day, I read the ingredients on a bottle of "maple" flavored syrup. Holy Cow! No wonder my kids were so crazed after pancakes! But the high fructose corn syrup and sugar aren't the worst parts. The preservatives alone are enough to terrify you. So we started buying up fruit at the store, or better yet, the local farmers market, and canning our own syrups.

This is not as complicated as it sounds! If you haven't canned before, have no fear, it's easy. The syrup has a fantastic fresh flavor, and at least you know what's in it (fruit, sugar, and some pectin, if you choose).

Syrup can also be served over ice cream, on snow cones, etc. And as I mentioned in a previous post, you can always mix some of the syrup with applesauce and serve it to cut down on the sugar further.

To avoid the artificial flavors of Koolaid, I squeeze 4 limes (at 10 cents each) into a gallon of water. I add some of our syrup (pineapple at the moment and practically free). Add a little sugar if it's too tart, some salt if it's hot out. You now have a great replacement for Gatoraid or Koolaid.

By Gina J. from CO

More Solutions

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 277 Posts

In a bowl, combine white corn syrup with unsweetened fruit flavored powdered drink mix such as Kool-Aid. You be the judge on how much drink mix to combine with the syrup.

Food and Recipes Recipes FruitMay 14, 2018
😎
🎆
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Fruit-Flavored-Syrups-1.html