Fruit Flavored Syrups

Category Fruit
Sugar syrups flavored with fruit are popular in coffees, sodas and desserts. This guide is about making fruit flavored syrups.

One day, I read the ingredients on a bottle of "maple" flavored syrup. Holy Cow! No wonder my kids were so crazed after pancakes! But the high fructose corn syrup and sugar aren't the worst parts. The preservatives alone are enough to terrify you. So we started buying up fruit at the store, or better yet, the local farmers market, and canning our own syrups.

This is not as complicated as it sounds! If you haven't canned before, have no fear, it's easy. The syrup has a fantastic fresh flavor, and at least you know what's in it (fruit, sugar, and some pectin, if you choose).

Syrup can also be served over ice cream, on snow cones, etc. And as I mentioned in a previous post, you can always mix some of the syrup with applesauce and serve it to cut down on the sugar further.

To avoid the artificial flavors of Koolaid, I squeeze 4 limes (at 10 cents each) into a gallon of water. I add some of our syrup (pineapple at the moment and practically free). Add a little sugar if it's too tart, some salt if it's hot out. You now have a great replacement for Gatoraid or Koolaid.

By Gina J. from CO

Fruit Flavored Syrup I

In a bowl, combine white corn syrup with unsweetened fruit flavored powdered drink mix such as Kool-Aid. You be the judge on how much drink mix to combine with the syrup. Make it as flavorful as you desire. Mix well using a whisk.

Adult supervision should be used when children are applying this mixture onto their foods, might be hard to get out of some fabrics or off some surfaces.

By Terri from NV

Fruit Flavored Syrup II

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 (4 oz) jello any flavor (but strawberry is really good)
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Directions

Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil while stirring. Boil several minutes to thicken. Pour into a pitcher (I use a glass measuring cup) and serve hot. Makes 4-5 servings

By imaqt1962 from Illinois