AdviceRecipes

Frying Tortillas for Tacos

This is just another way to fry up your corn torts when making tacos. It seems to make them taste more "authentic" and gives the corn tortilla a bit of the meat flavor too, and the tortillas get the little "crumblies" of meat cooked on them that have fallen out of the shells.

1. First cook your meat for the filling of your taco. Heat your pan with a little Crisco. When it's hot, add a corn tortilla.
  2. Flip the tortilla when it begins puffing up. Now add your cooked and seasoned meat on 1/2 of the tortilla.
  3. With tongs, fold over the half, and hold the tortilla down for a moment.
  4. Add another tortilla, and do the same thing with it as you did the first one.
  5. Place tortilla filled with meat on napkins/paper towels to rid extra oil.
  6. Then stuff with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, or anything!
  7. Ad

Great touch! Ill have to do this sometime

I do this, too, as I prefer the crunchy kind! :)

I am not knocking your way of making tacos but authenttic? No. Certainly keep making them the way you like them but I thought Id give you other, authentic ways. In Mexico, tacos are made with soft tortilla shells, simply warmed and fillings added to the tortilla and then folded. Tacos are never, ever crisp.

Similar to what you are making is a Quesadilla (k sa-dee-ya) . Lay your tortilla in the pan with a small bit of oil and top with meat and cheese and anything else you might want to add and fold it over. Leave until its just barely crisp and the cheese is melted. Thats a Quesadilla.

There is also the Tostada. Lay your tortilla in the pan with a bit of oil and fry until crisp. Do not fold. When the tortilla is crisp, take it out of the pan and lay on a plate. slather with refried beans and add meat, cheese, lettuce and whatever else you want. Or you can buy already fried, flat tortillas in stacks in the tortilla section of your store. Thats a Tostada.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, Mexican food is one of my favorite foods, and over the years, I've known many people that only used those taco shells in the box, the ones I call "pre-fab" taco shells, so I'd gotten use to calling these shells that are fried, "authentic" taco shells. Hope you understand.