Gardening Indoors

Category Indoor
Gardening Indoors
If you don't have the outside space for a garden or want to garden through out the winter, consider gardening indoors. This is a guide about gardening indoors.

I live at an elevation of over 10,000 ft and outdoor gardening is difficult. Our growing season is thirty days long. I am beginning to indoor garden. Here it is May 3rd and it snowed this morning but I am looking at my beautiful tomato blossoms. Sure, a couple of cherry tomatoes won't see me through the hard times, but I will enjoy every bite.

I have started peas, okra, peppers and I am willing to try all kinds of other vegetables and fruits. There is something very rewarding about growing your own food no matter where you live.

By Janice from Leadville, CO

It's winter, and I am covered in mailorder catalogs. I often have two or three open at a time, carefully making my selections of what I think I can grow this coming year. I also know some of the stores will have seeds for sale, very soon.

vegetable sprouts

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I would love to grow a gardenia and a lavender plant inside. I know a certain amount of humidity is needed especially for the gardenia. Also I'd love to grow some basil inside too since my son loves pesto. Does anyone have any tips for a brown thumb?

By Dana

I don't know about the gardenia and lavender, but you can grow the basil from seed. Just make sure that it has a sunny window, and rotate the pot so that the plants do not lean unevenly towards the light!

You may not have much luck with the lavender because they need to have an outdoor setting for the light and pollination from bees and wind combined. But the gardenia-if you can manage the tricky indoor environmental needs, shouldn't be too hard to do.

Research growing indoor gardenias on the Internet using the search phrase 'growing gardenias indoors'. Learn what the plant needs first, then make sure you buy a quality plant from a reputable plant nursery or a dedicated hobbyist in your immediate vicinity for a plant that is healthy, strong, and acclimated to your specific area (yes, even though you are going to grow it indoors).

MJeffwhit is 100% right on the basil. You can grow other kitchen herbs in a sunny kitchen window, too, and it looks really nice when you come into the kitchen to see a mini-garden growing:)

I just read somewhere that small coolers (the throw away kind) are perfect for growing my own carrots, potatoes, radishes, and that I can grow bell peppers in a pot and grow strawberries and tomatoes from hanging pots. Is this really possible? I only have a patio door and one window (about the same size) that get full sun at least part of the day.

Before I invest in this great sounding way to feed my family some food we may not get as often unless I can grow it myself, I need to know I won't just be throwing money away trying. Is it possible? How much sun do these items need to grow and flourish?

By MoonLitBelle from Las Vegas, NV

I don't know how potatoes would work in a pot, tomatoes need eight hours of sun. I know for sure that radishes would be successful and I have heard lettuce. I tried to grow peppers in a pot on my patio that didn't work, because I probably only have 3-4 hours of sunlight, when the sun shines in SD.

I would only do this for the enjoyment of gardening if that appeals to you. I would not count on harvesting a bounty of veggies as that's unlikely.