Get a Receipt when Shopping

Some stores I go to ask if I want a receipt - the environmentally friendly method would be to say "no", however the thrifty part of me says "yes". I always get a receipt.

The reason why is that mistakes can happen. For instance, during today's grocery trip, I was over charged $1.50 for eggs when they were advertised for $4.49 from $5.99. Today was the start of the sale and apparently the sale wasn't programmed in the system yet.

Source: My personal experience

I don't know if this applies in all areas, but at my supermarket chain items under $10 that are scanned incorrectly are free. Items over $10 get the first $10 free. If you bought multiple items, the first one is free and you get back the difference from the rest. I learned this from my Facebook group. The cashiers won't tell you, but must adhere to the policy if you mention it. I got a $7.99 box of burgers free because I found out about this. Check your store policy.

They just refunded the difference. I checked the store policy and they don't have that here.

I do know some groceries stores have a $5 or less then it's free or they will deduct the $5 and you get your difference back.

At the shopping mall Macy's - if you get overcharged they give you $10 off. (or free if it's less than $10).

That is great to double check your receipt !!