Getting Rid of Robins

My Mother is having trouble with a determined robin who insists on building its nest under the eve of the roof at the edge of the garage door. She keeps cleaning it out, but the robin comes back with more stuff. Now the robin has moved to the front porch and is trying to build the nest in a wreath on the porch. Any suggestions to get it to go somewhere else. Some people have suggested a rubber snake or an owl. Thanks in advance for any help.

By Di from FL

Best Answer

I would be delighted with this but, if it is impossible to leave them, then I'd suggest placing one of the fake robins ( you usually get them around Xmas for decorations) on the wreath or nest. Robins are quite territorial and that might be enough to drive them away.

Anonymous

this is what works for me hang a plastic bag when they fly the bag moves and that scares them. I do not let them nest around the house as they dive for my head.

She could try to hang a rubber or plastic jointed snake in that area. Although that may present a whole other problem, if she is easily frightened by snakes, or likely to forget it is there.

Why not just enjoy it. Robins grow quickly and in 4 or 5 weeks they will be gone. We had a nest in the wreath by our front door so we got to see the eggs and babies at many different stages. We only use our front door once a day or so, opting for the side or garage door while the nest was active.

We even got beautiful pics, took one every Saturday till surprise, empty nest and three healthy babies still being fed by mom in our front bushes. I hope they come back and nest next year!

Because like most birds, Robins carry bird lice and a nest will lead to an infestation that easily enter the house if the nest is by a door or window. This happened to me and I had lice inside the house. Fortunately when the nest was removed, the lice went with it.

You do not want birds nesting in your eves. Birds carry lice and we had to get our house extermenated because the lice migrated to our kitchen and other places in our home it was horrible!!

Try supplying her with an area of your choosing where she could build her nest. If you provide her with a sheltered shelf or ledge in an area more appropriate for where you want it, she will probably happily take over that spot and leave your eaves alone.

I'd love to have that problem, but understand; it can get messy. I have seen our local pool put styrofoam cups in the ledge, or even nylon/nylon net or wire scrubbers stuffed in the site.

I stopped birds from building a nest when I crushed up a plastic bag from walmart and put it where they were building. They left the area.

hang a plastic bag when they fly close the bag moves or if it is windy this works for me