Getting a Puppy After One Survives Parvo?

We got a puppy at the end of November. She came down with parvo within a week. She made an awesome recovery, thankfully. At the time we had already placed a deposit on another puppy not yet born. We tried to cancel the deal, but the breeder says our deposit is non refundable so we either take the dog or lose $500.

Advertisement

They have agreed to keep pup an extra 2 weeks to administer 2nd sets of vaccinations. This puts pick up around end of January and the pup at 9-10wks old. The house has been bleached, new dog items purchased, and old bedding thrown out. Any advice to keep a new puppy safe? I feel horrible already so please no hateful comments.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

December 29, 20180 found this helpful

I think you have done everything possible. If I were you I would ask the vet if she or he has any other suggestions.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 30, 20180 found this helpful

You do not mention anything about an outside yard so I'm assuming you maybe live in an apartment because it is very, very difficult to eliminate Parvo from a yard and it will last for 5-12 months (maybe longer if not well treated?).

Advertisement

  • I personally feel it would be a big mistake to bring a young puppy into this environment until after the third vaccination even if the place has been thoroughly cleaned.
  • That being said, I do not know what I would do in your situation but I believe that I would try to find a relative or good friend who would keep the puppy for a few weeks.
  • If that is not a possible solution, perhaps you could ask your vet if they can recommend an affordable place to "store" your puppy until it is safe to take them home.
  • You saved one puppy but the next time it might not end that way and this is a really young, vulnerable puppy.
  • If you decide to bring your puppy home, then I would suggest you watch them closely, not take them outside, and be prepared to rush them to the vet if they show any signs of being sick.
  • Advertisement

  • Here is a comment from my vet:
  • "It would be best if you waited about a week or two after his third round of vaccines. If you must walk him, keep him away from dogs of unknown vaccine status and away from areas visited by many dogs."
  • Here are other comments about similar situations (going outside is less serious than being in a Parvo environment).
  • www.essentialbaby.com.au/.../
  • Here is web site that has some very good information about a puppy's first year.
  • www.akc.org/.../
  • Believe me when I say that everyone who reads about your situation will only wish the very best for you and both your pups.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 30, 20180 found this helpful

A suggestion - since your deposit is non-refundable and due to the circumstances you're in - Do you know someone who wants to adopt a new puppy? Like any of your friends or co-workers?

Advertisement

If so, they can pay you the $500 deposit (or you can negotiate like $100 off or something back) that you deposited and pay the rest?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Advertisement

In This Page
Categories
Pets Dogs HealthDecember 29, 2018
Pages
More
😷
Coronavirus Tips
🐛
Pest Control
😎
Summer Ideas!
🌻
Gardening
📓
Back to School Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 13:52:10 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-a-Puppy-After-One-Survives-Parvo.html