Gift Wrapping Odd Shaped Presents

Category Gift Wrapping
large present
Odd shaped gift items and boxes can be very frustrating to wrap. This is a guide about gift wrapping odd shaped presents.

When wrapping shower gifts in the past, my mom always seemed to come up with an item that did not quite fit in any available box. For example, she once purchased a beautiful, unique, serving dish from a Pier 1 store, but forgot all about getting a box. The best one we had around just barely closed, forming kind of a peak or roof on one end of the box.

Well, that's all I had to see and I went crazy with it. After using the usual commercial type paper to wrap, I began decorating it with bits of ribbon to look like a little cottage. I even went so far as to include a small chimney made of a scrap of folded cardboard covered in ribbon, a front door, window and a few grass blades along the bottom and this formerly "awkward" box was the talk of the party! Another fun part was that no one could guess what was inside!

Denise from Whitestone, NY

How do you wrap a small odd shaped gift? I bought some HotWheel cars, and the packaging makes it very hard to look nice. Short of taking the cars out of the package, I'm at a loss, they look like a jumbled mess.

I don't have boxes they will fit, or gift bags.

By Marie from Ontario, Canada

Answers

My wife is our family wrapper. She would wrap the card around the car and tape it in the back to form a nice rounded package. The kids loved opening them as they got twice the excitement, first unwrapping to find the it was a car, second to release the card part to find out which car.

Whenever I get small boxes during the year I save them, because I always end up giving things that need a box, things like clothing, scaves, gloves, etc. For these little cars the boxes that assorted greeting cards come in would be perfect. If the box is a little too large, use some tissue paper as packing.

Wrap awkwardly shaped items in soft, flexible materials, like scarves, decorative towels, or lace, rather than struggling with wrapping paper. place item in the middle, bring up all corners of material, tie with a ribbon,as they do a basket at Easter & etc, good luck.

Gift bag with lots of tissue paper. I like gift bags because they can be reused.

With matchbox/hotwheels cars you can lightly wrap them with tissue paper and then put two of them together to make one easily wrapped gift. Place them facing each other with one upside down L7 <-- like this. They make a box shape that is easier to wrap.

For years I have had fun making shapes out of odd packages. I use the cardboard rolls for arms and legs, etc. The end results may be people, spiders, robots depends on the age of the person getting the gift. Sandwich a paper plate between two butter dishes with the gift inside and you have a flying saucer. Use plain brown grocery bags for wrapping paper and paint to look like the real thing. Just let your imagination fly! Oatmeal and salt containers made into drums, a sugar sack and label "for the sweetest person in the world", salt sack, etc. The wrapping is just a way of holding the gift and the reason you are giving the gift is the important thing to remember. Merry Christmas.

If you have cereal boxes, you can split the side and bottom and reverse it, then fit the cars inside.

That should work well.

On that note, you can do the same with mac and cheese, stuffing mix, crackers and all kinds of food item boxes. Just reverse the outside in, wrap and you are golden!

Paper lunch bags make good gift bags. You can put stickers on them and then fold over the top, punch two holes and tie a ribbon through the top. You can get a package of 250 bags for a dollar or two and they last forever.