AppetizersCopycat

Gino's Steakhouse Green Peppers in Olive Oil

My mom loves the green pepper appetizer at Gino's Steakhouse. I know they are soaked in olive oil, but I need the seasonings that are also added. I'd like to make this for my mom and need your help.

By alibeth05 from Michigan City, IN

Anonymous

Could you please share whether the peppers are sweet (such as bell peppers) or hot (such as pepperoncini)? Also, what do you mean by appetizer? Are they simply marinated or are they prepared by baking or frying? Also, there are several Gino's restaurants; some privately owed and others of the Gino's restaurant chain. Would be more than happy to find a recipe for you but need more details ;-)

The peppers are sweet, green bell peppers, Tastes like the are marinated. The Gino's is in Merrilville, Ind

Anonymous

The marinated red & green bell peppers are also for sale at Gino's but pricey at $10 per jar. The ingredients are the peppers, olive oil, balsamic vinegar & fresh basil.

Not sure if there's anything else in them but tastes like there is probably some sugar.

The marinated red & green bell peppers are also for sale at Gino's but pricey at $10 per jar. The ingredients are the peppers, olive oil, balsamic vinegar & fresh basil. Not sure if there's anything else in them but tastes like there is probably some sugar.

When I googled this in I found this recipe. Hope it helps you.

Italian Peppers

2 lbs. green peppers, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
12 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves
6 Tbsp. oil
2 tsp. cider vinegar
Salt to taste

Heat half of oil in large cast iron or heavy pan at medium-high heat. Add half of peppers and keep moving at all times until all bright green color is gone but peppers are not soft.

Turn into large bowl and add half of garlic, half of mint, half of vinegar and salt to taste. Mix well and spoon into clean jars. Repeat same steps for second half of peppers. Refrigerate.
Will keep for 2-3 months.
(This is a delicacy with fried egg sandwich or any other kind of sandwich. Great addition to any meal.)

Gino's peppers have a slightly sweet taste of them and I don't notice any form of sweetening in this recipe.