Giving Fish Oil to Dogs

Category Health
Giving your dog nutritious foods can help to keep it healthy and happy. This is a guide about fish oil for dogs.

This is a great time to start giving your pet fish oil supplements. The dog foods that say they have it in them, do, but it is not in the most usable condition. While you are giving them one, take one yourself. These are great. Please don't think that feeding the dog fat off of meats is the same thing as supplementing fish oil. Fatty foods like grease, etc. only damage or kill the pancreas.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

Oh yes, this is great advice! A year ago my dog was biting himself and making sores. He didn't have fleas and the vet said it was dry skin and allergy making him itch. My vet gave me fish oil gel caps for him and they worked wonders. I now buy the less expensive ones at Wal-Mart, but they are just as good. My dog now has a beautiful coat and no more itchy skin.

What dosage do you use, please? I have four 70-80 lb. dogs, & just started giving them one 1000 mg capsule per day. Also addling 1/2 of this to dose to 4 indoor cats, 'cause some of them have dandruff. Too much or too little, do you think?

And if you're using capsules, how do you do this? I generously pierce then squeeze out all the "juice" I can, sometimes using a garlic press.

Thanks, Nica