Giving a Metal Pot an Aged Look With Paint

Category Painting
Antiquing techniques can be used on many items including metal pots. This is a guide about giving a metal pot an aged look with paint.

I found a pot that I wanted to use for my potting soil storage. I wanted to paint and change the look, by making it look older and more vintage looking.

Total Time: 2 hours

• spray paint - light blue,
  • craft paints: cream, light gray, and light tan
  • sea sponge

1. Clean your pot.
  2. With the pot cleaned, apply base paint with light blue spray paint. Dry. Spray a second coat of paint. Dry.
  3. With your craft paints and sea sponge (works the best), put a small amount of paint on paper or paper plate and lightly dab into colors. Tap it onto paper to make sure it is not too heavy for the piece and use one color at a time. Lightly tapping gives that worn look of vintage.

The results are beautiful, but it looks as if you used a brand new pot. I hope you didn't.

Looks nice! Good idea and great results!

It was a great thrift store purchase $3.99, Thanks!

Thank you!