Main DishesRecipes

Glazed Pomegranate Pork Ribs

I came up with this recipe when I was actually craving a tart apple pork dish, but had no apples. Luckily, we have an abundance of pomegranates sitting around, so pomegranate pork was to be made. I can now report that this has my tart apple pork beat. Not only does the pomegranate compliment the meat perfectly, but the acidity of its juice really tenderizes the meat. It falls apart so easily without the need for a pressure cooker. This is an awesome one pan dish. I also adore its holiday colours!

I squeezed my own pomegranate juice. I've added a link below to my method of making pomegranate juice. You can purchase prepared pomegranate juice and seeds to use for this, too. If you do, you'll need 2/3 cup pomegranate juice and 1/4 cup of the seeds.

Prep Time: 15-20 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 50-55 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Link: How I Juice Pomegranates

1. Separate your pomegranates so you squeeze out about 2/3 cup juice, saving about 1/4 cup in seeds for garnish.
  2. Heat some oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Sprinkle pork pieces with salt and pepper, then add to pan and cook each side for a couple minutes, until all sides are golden.
  3. Transfer pork to a dish, keeping the browned bits in the pan.
  4. Add a touch more oil to the pan and cook the onions and garlic over low heat until wilted.
  5. Add the grated ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
  6. Add the pomegranate juice to the pan, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom with a wooden spoon.
  7. Stir frequently and bring to a boil.
  8. Add mustard, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
  9. Return pork pieces to the pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Flip pork over, cover, and cook a few more minutes.
  10. Remove pork from pan and cook the sauce on high heat until it thickens to a glaze, about a minute.
  11. To serve, place pork pieces on plate, drizzle with glaze, sprinkle with cilantro and spike with pomegranate seeds. I added a little squeeze of lemon on top to really bring out the zing.