Groundhog Removal

My neighbor has a wood pile on pallets that this very large ground hog lives under. This ground hog is eating my flowers all the time. He especially likes marigolds. I need to get rid of it with out a whole lot of expense.

By Kathy P

Well you could trap the critter in a hav a heart trap and relocate him to another location. They sell them at hardware stores and the trap needed for a ground hog would cost about $50. Or maybe getting rid of the pile of pallets may also help. Of course someone will suggest mothballs that are useless.

Ground hogs are too smart to go into traps.

Maybe some are, but I recently caught and relocated two using a trap. Used cantelope as bate.

sorry to disagree, but I have trapped 2 groundhogs over the years with a large animal trap (rented from animal rescue league). put a piece of cantalope in one, and 2 very ripe tomatoes in the other. just took a day for each one.

No, theyre not. The key is to know what youre doing!
After having tried things (moth balls, fox urine, product in store for these critters), the trap is the ONLY thing thats working.
DO NOT handle it with your bare hands. Good idea, if rain coming let sit in yard a few days. Dont touch bait with bare hands either. Ive been using pieces of watermelon, cantalope. My neighbor has even baited with a soft cookie. Put leaves in bottom of trap so it feels like regular ground (to critter) as it goes in. I set a lil trail whereby once following it ways to get away are limited. Has wirked great so far-4 and a raccoon. Key is dont handle trap, bait with hands use gloves.

I have been told repeatedly that empty a cats litter box down their burrow works very well but you have to do it to all of their openings. They don't like the smell. After they are gone fill in their holes first with gravel then dirt. I'm going to try it!!