Growing Beans (Bush and Pole)

Category Vegetables
A great addition to your garden is green and wax beans. These legumes are easy to grow and delicious prepared in many ways. This is a guide about growing beans (bush and pole).

Bush and pole beans refer to their growth habit, not specific varieties. Many bean cultivars are available in both bush and pole forms.This is a guide about comparing bush beans and pole beans.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing green beans. Green beans are a fun and easy crop to grow. Green beans grow well in many areas and often provide a great harvest.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a question regarding pole beans. I live in NJ and if you are not familiar with the weather we have been having just think snow. Anyway, I have noticed that there are still some dried pole bean pods up on my trellis. Do you think I could still use them?

By Amy from NJ

Answers

Yes you can use them as dried beans like you get in gro store. Soak them over night. Cook till done, good luck.

Or, you could save them until the weather is warm and plant them.

I am guessing the "poster" is the one who labeled this "Eating pole beans left on the vine over winter." If I was not clear I really wanted to know if the seeds were still good for planting. When dried they are all yellow or brown and dried like paper so I would not think they are edible other than using the seeds. I guess I will give it a try!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
Pole beans constantly reach out, searching for something to hold on to. The four foot fence is nowhere near tall enough, but the bean will continue on anyway.

Photo Location
Crown Point, IN

Comment Like this photo? 2