Growing Climbing Roses

Category Roses
With proper placement in your garden, training, and pruning you can have a beautiful climbing rose adorning a fence, wall, or arbor. This is a guide about growing climbing roses.

I have a climbing rose bush that I have had for 4 years and it is doing wonderful at growing, but it doesn't flower. I have never seen a bloom on it, does anyone have any suggestions how to get the bush to flower?

By whiskell

Answers

Perhaps the location of where it is planted has something to do with the climber not blooming. I put banana peelings and chipped egg shells around my climber and it's in full sun on a trellis and blooms nicely. Also, give the climber, rose food
to provide nutrients it needs. You may need to prune it back which helps also, just do it at the right time of year.

You may have planted it too deep. There is a "nodule" where the rose was most likely grafted. This graft must be there and able to "breathe", if not there your plant will never bloom. If you don't see this knot at ground level you may have cut it off. I'm no expert, but this is what I learned about mine that never bloomed. Good luck!

I had a lovely climbing pink Queen Elizabeth - it only flowered the first year - I was told by searching online that they won't bloom but once, so hope that isn't the type you have!! I replaced it with the old-fashioned Paul's Scarlett and it blooms all summer long!

Trimming AKA pruning is done in Spring there is a method to get certain climbers to bloom more quickly though. When the top flower is nearly done blooming go ahead and cut off the bud and bend the tip to a horizontal position. There are some types of climbers that have a growth hormone right at the ends of a cane that sends a signal down the entire cane that speeds up the reflowering to that same cane.

Agree with other posts, but also consider a dose of Rose tone fertilizer right about now. And consider getting a soil test to make sure there's nothing you're missing in the soil. I've heard that keeping the can horizontal will help you get lots of nice flowers.

Also, does it get enough sun? Here's a link that should help, too.

http://www.oldh  -rose-care.shtml

Give it tomato fertilizer, or use bananas to encourage roses to grow. the rose fertilizer will make it bloom more foliage.

My rose bushes are not growing. I planted them over three years ago. I can barely get a bud on them. I just started this spring fertilizing them with rose bud food like the directions say. They look a little better, but they still are not as big as I would like them to be and the bugs keep eating at them. What can I do to make them grown and keep bugs off them?

By jacque

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My climbing rose outdid it self last summer, the blooms just kept coming and coming. When you walked by the sweet scent engulfed you with its soft sweetness and you couldn't help but feel lifted up. We have rose bowls everywhere in the house to extend their beauty.

By Ann

Comment Like this photo? 9

As you can see, I live in Iowa and our winters can be fierce. If you want to grow a climbing rose for anyone in zone 5 or less, your best bet is the Canadian Explorer Roses. This rose is three years old and as you can see it has covered my split rail fence. They do not need any special protection although I do mulch around mine as a precaution.

By Elaine from Iowa

Climbing Rose

Comment Like this photo? Yes

This climbing rose is a "William Baffin" Canadian Explorer rose. This rose is hardy way up to Canada so all you in zones 5, 4 and 3 can grow these successfully. This is the 4th year for my climber. I never had to cover it in the winter. It is climbing on a split rail fence. Isn't it a beaut?

Source: From my own backyard.

By Laniegirl from Iowa

Answers:

Garden: William Baffin Climbing Rose

I wonder if this would grow in coastal Georgia? We get awful hot here in the summer. What do you think? That's a gorgeous rose! (07/02/2009)

By Knittnfool

Garden: William Baffin Climbing Rose

Hmm, I don't know for sure. What zone is Georgia? It is raised mainly for the northern states I think but there are climbing roses you can grow there that we cannot here. I would ask at a nursery. (07/02/2009)

By Laniegirl