Growing Clock Vine (Thunbergia)

Category Annuals
Commonly referred to as clock vine or black-eyed susan, the brightly colored flowers that adorn this annual vine make a beautiful addition to your garden. This page has photos and information about growing clock vine (thunbergia).

Botanical Name: Thunbergia alata
Life Cycle: Annual, tropical tender perennial
Planting Time: spring or summer
Height: 5' to 6'
Exposure: full sun to light afternoon shade
Soil: nutrient rich, moist soil
Hardiness: 9-11
Bloom Time: summer to mid fall
Flower: yellow and white
Foliage: green
Propagation: seeds or cuttings
Suggested Use: arbors, trellises, walls, fences and hanging baskets
Growing Hints: Start seed indoors 6 to 8 weeks before last frost or transplant seedlings 6 inches apart after night temperatures have reached at least 50º. Seedlings grow slowly, reaching 5 to 6 feet high with good supports. Vines flower poorly during high heat and humidity, but come back after the peak of summer heat subsides.
Interesting Facts: There are nearly 100 different species of Thunbergia-both shrubs and vines. Species are native to Africa and India, where flowers on some species grow to several feet in length.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have a beautiful black eyed Susan vine. It has stopped blooming. What have I done? I water it and make sure it gets afternoon shade. I have been removing seeds as they appear. Should I be doing something else?

Answers

It may have too much water. Try putting some mulch on it.

When watering I tend to use the one inch down rule. Now this the 1st year I have had Blackeyed Susan Vine plant so the watering rule may be different, I fertilize monthly. And now I just don't know what to do,

Your problem may be overwatering. This vine requires well-drained soil and moderate watering.

They do well in and outdoors but either way, they seem to do better with some support, like a trellis. It seems to promote flowering...at least it did when I had them. They also like warmer temps at night so if you have them in a pot, bring them in on cooler nights. I am unusual in that I avoid fertilizer in 99% of my plants. I feel like it is overkill and too much fuss. Below is a nice link about these lovelies!

wimastergardener.org/.../

You should trim it back a bit to help promote new growth. Normally plants don't need to be fertilized each month or watered daily. let it go one or two days between watering.

You may be doing everything right but maybe a little too much of each thing...

• You do not say if your plant is in the ground or if it is in a container but it is assumed you have it planted outside.
  • Here are some suggestions from lovers of Black Eyed Susan vines:
  • Not flowering generally is a watering problem, mostly overwatering. Watch your watering. If you want to maximize your blooms try Bloom Booster by Miracle-Gro and follow directions carefully.
  • Mulching around the base of the plants will keep the roots cool and moist, without fear of rotting.
  • Feeding every 4 - 6 weeks, with a complete fertilizer, to keep it growing strong.
  • Ad

• Too much nitrogen can cause plants to produce more foliage and less blooms.
  • Black-eyed Susan vine does go through a period in the dead of summer heat (late-July and August) when it tends to slow down on producing blooms. As soon as cooler weather starts back up again in September it should start to bloom again in force.
  • www.thespruce.com/black-eyed-susan-vine-thunbergia...

Thank you so much. all of these suggestions are helpful. I will get the Bloom Booster today and will trim my Blackeyed Susan Vine tomorrow and by the way it is in a hanging pot with shade for about noon till nightfall. If this make a difference please let me know

I do not think it will make a big difference except you will have to watch it carefully as you do not want it to dry out but not wet all the time either.

When you go to purchase your Bloom Booster why not check one of these out also as I use one of these with a lot of potted plants. These are available at most garden centers and come in just for water gauge or a 3 in 1 like this.

www.amazon.com/.../?tag=thrif06-20

Which season or month can I grow thunbergia to catch the flowering season?

By F Namanyane

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I wish I was out watering my flowers. Looking at the 5 inches of snow on the ground today, takes me back to the warm summer day that I took this photo.

By Mau

A Black-eyed Susan vine growing up a patio railing.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5
Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsNovember 6, 2014
📓
🌻
🐛