Growing Dragon Fruit

Category Cactus
This is a page about growing dragon fruit. This leathery cactus fruit originated in Columbia. It has adapted and is now cultivated in dry tropical areas with moderate rainfall.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
When it is dragon fruit season, you will get to see the beautiful white flowers bloom. However, this flower is nocturnal therefore the best and only time to see these big beautiful flowers fully in bloom is during the night. These photos I snapped were from early morning when the bloom is still beautiful but not as full as the night time. The flowers only last a day, which is a shame because they are so full and lovely to see against the green cactus.

Photo Location
My backyard!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Dragon fruit used to be a rare type of fruit. Now it is distributed and sold to our markets. This plant belongs to the cactus family. Based on facts I have read about dragon fruit, it contains various vitamins and minerals that prevent diseases like diabetes and joint pain. It contains antioxidants and more.

Photo Description
Dragon fruit used to be a rare type of fruit. Now it is distributed and sold to our markets. Its common name is pitaya. This plant belongs to the cactus family. Based on facts I have read about dragon fruit, it contains various vitamins and minerals that prevent diseases like diabetes and joint pain. It contains antioxidants and more.

I also researched on how to plant the seeds since I always buy this fruit. Someone suggested that it's best to have the branch planted for it will grow and bear fruit in a short period of time, but I can't find one. So, I researched and watched video tutorials. Based on the video, seeds are scraped off and placed in a piece of tissue and transferred to a mixture of sand and soil after three days. It grew sprouts after seven days. I followed the same procedure and it was a failure.

When I opened another fruit I scraped off the seeds with a spoon. I took a pot, fill it with wet soil and cultivated it. Then placed the seeds on the soil, mixed it up all together. Sprouts have grown after three days and it has grown well up to now.

Tip: If your soil is dry, pour in enough water to dampen it.

By the way, the seeds are edible and some dragon fruit contain white flesh.

Photo Location
Philippines

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

The dragon fruit grows on a vine, which requires support to protect the plant from stress as it grows in size and becomes laden with delicious fruit. This is a page offers one method for building a frame for a dragon fruit tree.

Building a Frame for Dragon Fruit Tree - closeup of fruit

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Gardening CactusOctober 18, 2016
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-29 12:39:49 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️