Growing Pine Trees

Category Trees
Add a lovely evergreen pine to your garden. This is a guide about growing pine trees.

Norfolk pine or Araucaria heterophylla are originally from a small island near New Zealand. They are a popular houseplant. Proper care can keep these elegant living Christmas trees healthy for years to come.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Pine trees are often easy to grow but some pines can be prone to disease or not drought tolerant. This is a guide about problems growing pine trees.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Last summer I thought I "saved" a vermont pine tree that had decided to grow in a huge rock thats on my lawn. I transplanted it into a pot and it seemed to be doing well, now I've brought it in due to the severity of winter up in the northeast kingdom (5-6 ft snow) and now it seems unhappy. Are there any ideas you have for my poor sad pine?

Kate

Answers

Best Answer

Your little pine tree is too warm, after all was used to living out in the snow and now in a hot home. It would be much happier outside or in the coolest part of your home and also mist it once and a while. It did get some of the needed water from rain and your home is much drier than it is used to. I have the same problem with minature roses they like it cooler than a home is that is heated with wood. I keep it in a bedroom that is closed off for the winter doesn't freeze but is much cooler than the rest of the house.
Does better in there.

Best Answer

Hi - I am no expert but I think you need to plant your tree outside-it is
native to severe winters . You might need to weather it a bit. You might
want to put burlap around, probably support with three teepee stakes.

Trees are very resilient. Read on how deep to plant for size. Or ask a
nurseryman in your area. I will try to read on this.
- Karen

How do I plant pine trees? How many years do they take to grow? How do I maintain them? Please help.

By brenda from Butaleja, Uganda

Answers

Best Answer

It depends on what kind of pine tree you are planting. Some trees grow very slowly and take many years to mature and others grow rapidly.

We have planted shore pines which grow approximately eight inches per year. We have also planted ponderosas which grow anywhere from one to two feet per year.

Pine trees need lots of room to grow. They also need to be in a location where there is a constant supply of water and really good drainage.

If you are growing from a seed, start with a pot and some regular potting soil. When the tree is about a foot high, it can be transplanted into the ground. You need to dig a hole about six to eight inches bigger than the root ball, and loosen all the soil around the hole. Then set the tree into the hole and put the dirt back into the hole. Water the dirt as you go, so that there are no air pockets around the roots. After you have put all the dirt back into the hole, make a ring about three feet bigger than the base of the tree and remove all the sod from the ring. Add mulch to the ring to help improve the soil's abillity to hold water.

then watch your little tree grow. Water about once every two weeks in the spring and fall, once a week in the summer, and not at all in the winter. Make sure that when you water, you saturate the soil.

Will adding Sulfur help my pine trees ?

By Adrian Boyd from Paradise TX

Answers

You need to call your county extension office. I cannot locate any info about your question online, good luck.

I cut back my dying pine tree - was that a mistake? It was a live Christmas tree that we neglected to plant for 4 months and it was dying. Will it come back? Anything I can do to save it?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Mary from Shelter Island, NY

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I was out taking pictures of my spring blooming trees, when I came over to this pine tree. Really taking a good look at it, I could see the growing pine cones so I took this picture. Would you say this pictures of my pine tree is in bloom? I thought this was interesting, and hope you do, too.

By Jackie

Pine Tree in Spring

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11