Growing Pine Trees

Category Trees
Growing Pine Trees
Add a lovely evergreen pine to your garden. This is a guide about growing pine trees.

This is a guide about caring for a Norfolk pine. Proper care can keep these elegant living Christmas trees healthy for years to come.

Norfolk pine when healthy.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Pine trees are often easy to grow but some pines can be prone to disease or not drought tolerant. This is a guide about problems growing pine trees.

Pine Needles

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Last summer I thought I "saved" a vermont pine tree that had decided to grow in a huge rock thats on my lawn. I transplanted it into a pot and it seemed to be doing well, now I've brought it in due to the severity of winter up in the northeast kingdom (5-6 ft snow) and now it seems unhappy. Are there any ideas you have for my poor sad pine?

Kate

Your little pine tree is too warm, after all was used to living out in the snow and now in a hot home. It would be much happier outside or in the coolest part of your home and also mist it once and a while. It did get some of the needed water from rain and your home is much drier than it is used to. I have the same problem with minature roses they like it cooler than a home is that is heated with wood. I keep it in a bedroom that is closed off for the winter doesn't freeze but is much cooler than the rest of the house.

Does better in there.

Hi - I am no expert but I think you need to plant your tree outside-it is

native to severe winters . You might need to weather it a bit. You might

want to put burlap around, probably support with three teepee stakes.

Trees are very resilient. Read on how deep to plant for size. Or ask a

nurseryman in your area. I will try to read on this.

- Karen

I agree that it is probably too hot. Put it in a cooler part of the house, then the garage or somewhere cold, then back outside. Make sure to protect it so it doesn't freeze too early.

Susan

Anonymous

Also in the Spring and again in the summer, take some fireplace ash and place it on top of soil. Water as you noramlly would. This provides great fertilizer for the plant. But plants don't like to be fertlized over winter as this is there resting phase.

Good luck

EC

Thank you all so much for the advice! heres a little more info...he was "born" this last spring in a huge rock crack...so hes never felt the winter hiself...and hes only gotten about 4" tall..so to plant him outside at this time would sure cause his demise..the crack that he found his life begining in was barely a half inch of dirt if that, in a small crack in rock! i have photos of before and after but dont know if i can post them here..i do think that its too hot..and i also thought it maybe more thirsty than most plants...ive moved him to a outside window so he can enjoy the coolness and sunshine!

I think it needs to be in the ground not in the house. These kind of trees can be planted from November to March usually so you need a hole deep and wide enough to take the roots comfortably. Put a little fertiliser (organic) mixed with good soil in the bottom in a kind of heap. Put in the tree and spread the roots out as much as possible then fill in with fine soil so that as much as possible is between all the roots. Then fill in - stake it as someone else suggested, with 3 posts round it (but not in contact), make sure there's a good layer or soil and something like leaves or mulch on top for insulation and leave it - it should be ok then. Indoors is not the place for pine trees for sure.

Hope this helps,

Gill

I wouldn't suggest you use wood ash for an acid loving plant. Wood ash does have lots of goodies, but can be used as a substitute for lime which will make the soil more alkaline.

http://www.burk  sh_in_the_garden

If you want something gentle and natural as a fertilizer for your pine, use compost.

I agree that it should be outside. If you've had it in the house for several days/weeks, you will have to slowly get it accustomed to the cooler temps outdoors again. It sprouted outdoors and was slowly getting used to the colder temps. That is how they grow in the wild and no one brings them indoors.

Good luck with your pine.

Newt

Pine trees like sand and rock. Most of the advise abouve is ok, though I would skip the fertilizer. Pines do not like their roots buried and was probably quite happy on the rock. Look at other pines around and try to duplicate the natural conditions. Pines are drought tolarant when established and do not like to have wet roots all the time.

i moved from new york to arizona, we had a pine tree from a seedling in a pot in new york we brought it with us to arizona and now the needles turned brown and are falling off how could i save my tree. i brought it in the house out of the heat. is there any thing else i could do to save the tree from dieing

How do I plant pine trees? How many years do they take to grow? How do I maintain them? Please help.

By Brenda from Butaleja, Uganda

Answers

It depends on what kind of pine tree you are planting. Some trees grow very slowly and take many years to mature and others grow rapidly.

We have planted shore pines which grow approximately eight inches per year. We have also planted ponderosas which grow anywhere from one to two feet per year.

Pine trees need lots of room to grow. They also need to be in a location where there is a constant supply of water and really good drainage.

If you are growing from a seed, start with a pot and some regular potting soil. When the tree is about a foot high, it can be transplanted into the ground. You need to dig a hole about six to eight inches bigger than the root ball, and loosen all the soil around the hole. Then set the tree into the hole and put the dirt back into the hole. Water the dirt as you go, so that there are no air pockets around the roots. After you have put all the dirt back into the hole, make a ring about three feet bigger than the base of the tree and remove all the sod from the ring. Add mulch to the ring to help improve the soil's abillity to hold water.

then watch your little tree grow. Water about once every two weeks in the spring and fall, once a week in the summer, and not at all in the winter. Make sure that when you water, you saturate the soil.

Will adding Sulfur help my pine trees ?

By pleasechooseanother from Paradise TX

You need to call your county extension office. I cannot locate any info about your question online, good luck.

I cut back my dying pine tree - was that a mistake? It was a live Christmas tree that we neglected to plant for 4 months and it was dying. Will it come back? Anything I can do to save it?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Mary from Shelter Island, NY

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I was out taking pictures of my spring blooming trees, when I came over to this pine tree. Really taking a good look at it, I could see the growing pine cones so I took this picture. Would you say this pictures of my pine tree is in bloom? I thought this was interesting, and hope you do, too.

By Jackie

Pine Tree in Spring

Comment Like this photo? 11