Growing Raspberries?

What do I do with raspberry canes after they have fruited?

By Sandra

If you bend the tip down and cover it with a little earth, you will have a new cane for next year. I have read that cane only produce fruit one year, but my canes haven't read that. The canes are not long lived, only a year or two at most. The new canes are white and will be your source of fruit next year. Old canes turn brown and die. Those you can cut. Hope this helps.

I grew red raspberries for many years. What I did was during winter after the leaves had dropped I cut out all dead canes. These are the canes that fruited. Cut them as low as you can. After I cleaned out all the dead canes I cut what was left knee high.

Always had plenty of fruit and your planting will not get out of hand. Even doing this you will have to transplant and start a new row every so many years. Start a new row one year and the next year get rid of the old row after fruiting. This is because an old row will get hard to handle.

Home and Garden Gardening BerriesAugust 15, 2011
🌻
👔
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Raspberries-2.html