Growing a Bradford Pear Tree?

Category Fruit Trees
Although not know for their pears, these trees are native to China and are often planted in urban environments. This page is about growing a Bradford pear tree.

I live in the southeast part of North Carolina. I have a Bradford pear tree in my front yard. It's about 12-14 ft tall. Its shape is beautiful, but it never blooms when the rest of the Bradford pear trees bloom in our area. If it blooms at all, it doesn't until all the others are done blooming and sprouting green leaves. I've tried adding fertilizer and Miracle Gro soil, but nothing helps. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Answers

Hi Cricket -

Honestly, the best thing you can do with that tree in particular is to cut it down and replace it with another species. Bradford pears (and other Callery pear varieties) were once planted throughout suburban and urban landscapes because of the pretty shape and flowers they produce. In recent years, though, the tree has become terribly invasive, and the wild versions that crop up are reverting back to an older morphology that is thick with thorns.

Every tree of this species should be removed if possible and replaced with a tree from a species that is native to your region.

I know this isn't what you hoped to hear. Bradford pears are beautiful to look at, so many people fall in love with them. It's a shame they are such an ecological problem, but fortunately there are many pretty native trees that make good replacements.

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Fruit TreesApril 4, 2013
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-a-Bradford-Pear-Tree.html