Ham and Green Split Pea Soup

Ah, this is my favorite soup. After Christmas dinner, I take that ham bone with still a lot of meat on it, pop it into a large freezer bag, and into the freezer it goes! I always make my Ham & Green Split Pea Soup for New Year's eve & day meals. It is such a good hearty soup with some dinner rolls or hot bread.

1. In a 7 quart stock pot, put your ham bone and all your pieces of ham. Add the water and chicken broth.
  2. Mince or finely chop all the vegetables, put them in the pot. Let them start boiling. Add all your seasonings and the apple cider.
  3. Rinse the green split peas in cold water, dump them in the pot.
  4. Ad

5. Let this simmer for at least two hours. Stirring well often. After the first hour, put it on the lowest simmer and you can leave this simmering even longer. I like mine to simmer about 4 hours.
  6. Do a test taste after 2 hours for seasonings, like salt or sugar add more if needed! Bake some rolls or bread to serve. This soup freezes well too! Enjoy
  7. After the first two hours, I add the fresh carrots. You can add diced potatoes if you like to. I don't!