Hearty Meatloaf Soup
Use leftover meatloaf to make a hearty soup for a cold evening. This is a page about hearty meatloaf soup
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
The weather is very cold, and I love making homemade soups. When I can make them frugal, that's even better. This one is made from a half of a stuffed meatloaf I froze, from a recipe I posted recently. Lots of great flavors went into the meatloaf and this soup, but you can still make this soup with any meats you have in the freezer.
- 1/2 frozen meatloaf or you can use either ground beef or sausage meat (1 pound)
- 1 bag frozen diced onion & peppers ($.99)
- 2 cartons chicken broth ($2.00)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bag (16 oz) whole leaf spinach ($1.99)
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes ($1.98)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (store brand) ($.69)
- 1/2 cup Orzo macaroni ($1.00)
- seasonings to taste; season salt, black pepper, basil, old bay seasoning, garlic powder or minced, sugar, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves. Start with a 1/4 teaspoon...let it simmer, do a test taste for adjusting the flavors.
- shredded Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Using frozen cooked meat or any meat, break it up into small bits and cook it up in the bottom of your soup pot. Add the bag of onions & peppers.
- Fill with chicken broth and water.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, beans, pasta and seasonings.
- Bring this to a boil, then drop down to a medium simmer for at least an hour and a half. Test taste for seasonings.
- When ready to serve, put in a soup bowl and add a handful of shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese on top. Great with garlic toast and a salad.
May 26, 20160 found this helpful
Delicious looking ! :)