Herb and Yogurt Soup Recipe
Creamy yogurt and bright fresh herbs are combined to make this unusual soup. This guide is about making herb and yogurt soup
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is my mother's recipe for a rather unusual but really, delicious soup. Everyone who has had the pleasure of eating it says its the most comforting, hearty, yummy soup they've ever had. I always request it when I've had a bad day... or a good day! We hope you try it!
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 servings
Link: My recipe for the best homemade chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 Tbsp dried tarragon
- 1 qt boxed broth
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oatmeal
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups water
*In this recipe, we used a quart of boxed broth along with 2 cups of homemade chicken stock. We prefer just using 6 cups of homemade stock and skipping the boxed stuff, but we ran out when making this batch.
- Put everything (except for the yogurt and water) into a large pot and bring to a boil on high heat.
- After it comes to a boil, bring the temperature down to low. Remove the foam on top with a spoon and discard. Simmer about an hour or until the steel oatmeal is fully cooked and soft.
- Add the 2 cups of water to the yogurt and mix until very smooth.
- Pour this yogurt mixture into the soup and cover with a lid, leaving a little gap for steam to escape. Continue to simmer for another hour until it thickens.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt in the center. Enjoy!