Herb and Yogurt Soup
This is my mother's recipe for a rather unusual but really, delicious soup. Everyone who has had the pleasure of eating it says its the most comforting, hearty, yummy soup they've ever had. I always request it when I've had a bad day... or a good day! We hope you try it!
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 servings
Link: My recipe for the best homemade chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 Tbsp dried tarragon
- 1 qt boxed broth
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oatmeal
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups water
*In this recipe, we used a quart of boxed broth along with 2 cups of homemade chicken stock. We prefer just using 6 cups of homemade stock and skipping the boxed stuff, but we ran out when making this batch.
- Put everything (except for the yogurt and water) into a large pot and bring to a boil on high heat.
- After it comes to a boil, bring the temperature down to low. Remove the foam on top with a spoon and discard. Simmer about an hour or until the steel oatmeal is fully cooked and soft.
- Add the 2 cups of water to the yogurt and mix until very smooth.
- Pour this yogurt mixture into the soup and cover with a lid, leaving a little gap for steam to escape. Continue to simmer for another hour until it thickens.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt in the center. Enjoy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!