Home Repair Grant Denied

I am on Social Security Disability, I had signed up for a home improvement grant 6 years ago with my Neighborhood Community Development Association. I just received a notice in the mail stating that if I had a bankruptcy that was not discharged that I would no longer be eligible for the home repair grant. I signed up for the grant in 2008 of March. I have been waiting for this grant for almost 6 years, I had to file for a bankruptcy 2 years ago because my husband lost his job. I was also told that I couldn't put in another application until my bankruptcy has been discharged for a full year. Does this mean that I have to wait another six years just for me to be the next one on the list? Or can someone tell me if I can contact a government official on this matter?

By Tiffany

I don't know what you mean when you say a Home Improvement Grant, unless it is similar to what we have in SD, that is government funded. Here what we have is basically called Opportunities for Independent Living and it has different names in different parts of the state.

What this program does is make much needed, serious home repairs and modifications, like for a person that can no longer get in and out of a bath tub, they will take the tub out and put in a roll in shower. It also is based on income, what some people consider low income, might not actually be low. If you do receive the help, you have to stay in the home for a certain number of years or else pay it back on a pro-rated basis.

I have a sister who had her house repaired through this program and then she ended up having to go into a nursing home, and when her house was sold, she had to pay it back on the pro-rated basis. My guess is when you were contacted about the bankruptcy, it is because some people end up losing their homes in the bankruptcy proceedings.

When you are approved you have to wait until they can find the people to do the work, because they don't have actual carpenter type people on their payroll, they have to find the repair people that have time to do the work at lower cost. I have never heard of anybody having to wait more than a few months, once approved to have the work done, so I don't think you are referring to the same thing.

I think you would be better advised to contact someone in the community organization you referred to in your question. They would be the only ones who can answer your question.

You will have to contact the association that you are applying to for answers to your questions.
All states and counties have different rules and regulations for this sort of thing.