Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

I need help with my mom's house, it falling apart. She can't afford to have it fixed. She lets me and my kids stay here and I want to give her something back that she always wanted, her dream house.

By Lavonnda

If you can find free or cheap repair work, that doesn't include making the house into a dream home. If you haven't been able to maintain it in decent condition, it has never been much of a dream house. Buildings require yearly or more maintenance.

I don't know of any organizations that help with repairs. You could check with habitat for humanity, but where I live they only build houses. Your mother must have some income, either retirement Social Security, disability, or pension. I assume you are working.

There is an organization that will help elderly disabled people with some stuff like that, but you either have to qualify because of age or disability AND income wise. It has different names in different towns. In the state where I live I know of two different names in two different towns. If you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services talk to them and see if they know of any organization that can help with home repairs.

Several years ago my sister had them repair her roof, and they put in a couple new windows for her and a new door. In the town my sister lives in it is called Opportunities for Independent Living. If they help a person, the person has to stay in the house for a certain period of time or pay back on a pro-rated basis. Also talk to your pastor, they might know of people that can help you too.

The previous answer is very good.I was just wondering how much you and your children could do yourselves.That would be a great gift of thanks to your mother for letting you stay with her. Major repairs no, but there is a lot that can be done by paint and cleaning. "Oops" paint comes very cheap from paint stores, that can be used for walls, furniture, lots of things to brighten them up. I have used enamel for old vinyl floors that worked very well (just be sure very clean before and thoroughly dry after before use, still good 15 years later!) and thrift stores are also good for curtains etc. Put your own hands to it to brighten things up and the other will follow.

I agree with Eggz about painting vinyl floors. When I was kid my late mother painted our living room, dining room and kitchen vinyl several times because we could never afford new. My mother did it on her hands and knees.