Homegrown Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
I love growing my own mushrooms at home. It's easy to do and I love that they're not covered in unknown dirt. They turn out so yummy that they are a fantastic replacement for meat. Of course, if you don't grow your own mushrooms at home, use store bought ones when you try this recipe. You will love it either way!
You can get organic mushroom grow kits online. I've added a link to one of my favourite oyster mushroom kits below. I've had great success with this line and have been able to grow quite a few from one kit. You can also find these kits at discount stores for a third of the price.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 1/2 cup oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Add the butter to a large pan over medium heat. Cook the onions and garlic, stirring often, until translucent. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, until the grains are toasted. This gives it a lovely nutty flavour.
- Mix together veggie broth and wine. Pour about 1/3 of the mixture into the rice, but just enough that it covers the rice. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. You will stir this frequently while you start the cook-down of the mushrooms and asparagus.
- In a separate pan right next to the rice, add a bit of butter or oil and place over medium-low heat. Cook mushrooms and asparagus, stirring often.
- This is where you really must be very attentive to both pans. Add liquid portion 2 of 3 to the rice, just enough that it covers the rice. Keep stirring. At this point, if you take a bite, it will be half-cooked
- Continue stirring the mushrooms and asparagus. When browned on the edges, shut off the heat.
- Add liquid portion 3 of 3 to the rice, just until covered, and stir. It should take about 35-ish minutes for all of the liquid to be absorbed, start to finish. You might have some leftover liquid by the end of this, and that is okay.
- Dump the mushrooms and asparagus into the rice and stir. Add the cheese and stir.
- Add the lemon zest. Sprinkle in salt and pepper to your taste. Serve immediately.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.