Homemade Baked Ziti with Veggies
My recipe is made to feed 4 families that are not working. It is made with chopped, healthy vegetables in my homemade Italian sauce. I make my regular Italian sauce and add a finely minced, carrot, zucchini and summer squash. It comes out a bit sweeter, but much healthier!
- large pot homemade Italian sauce*
- 1 lb ground beef
- small zucchini, small yellow summer squash, cut up & minced
- 4 boxes Ziti pasta
- 1 large Ricotta cheese
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tsp dry parsley, 1/2 tsp black pepper, a sprinkle of salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Pkg. (8oz) shredded mozzarella cheese & 1 for the cheese mixture and 1 for topping
- Cook ground beef.
- Put on a pot of Italian sauce.* Also add the cooked ground beef, and let it simmer.
- Put on a large pot of water with salt and olive oil for paste, when it comes to a boil, add all 4 boxes of paste, cook only 1/2 way, drain, rinse under water. Pour into a very large pan or bowl.
- Now to make the cheese mixture. In a medium sized bowl. Add ricotta cheese, add beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of grated cheese, the few spices and mozzarella. Stir in very well!
- Add about 4-5 ladlefuls of sauce to the cheese mixture. Add more if needed. Stir again very well.
- Add the cheese mix to the cooked pasta. And mix very well and make sure all is coated.
- Then add a little at a time, the meat sauce until all is covered. Saving enough sauce for topping.
- I use aluminum pans (lasagna pans). Fill each pan (this makes 5 large pans). When each one is full? Pour about 3 ladlefuls of sauce over the top of each pan. Top each pan with a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese. I sprinkle the top with grated cheese also.
- Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes. Take out before the cheese turns brown. Enjoy!
- Put on a large pot of water with salt and olive oil, when boiled, add 4 boxes of Penne Pasta, cook al dente, drain, add a little pasta water & olive oil, transfer to a large pot or bowl.
Jackie's Sauce https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Italian-Tomato-Sauce.html
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!