Homemade Eye Drops

Category Home Remedies
woman using eye drops
It is possible to make your own drops to relieve itchy, dry, irritated eyes. This is a guide about making homemade eye drops.

Most eye drop solutions are nothing more than saline solution. Buy an eye dropper and fill it with saline solution (that costs 99 cents a pint on sale) and use that when your eyes are dry. Much better than paying $3-$5 for 1 ounce of eye drops!

By Kathy

That same saline solution can also be used for nose drops to clear a stuffy nose. It's even safe to use on newborns, an age you wouldn't be able to use most over-the-counter decongestants.

You need to be extremely careful with putting anything in your eyes that is not sterile. An eye infection is not worth it.

Putting anything homemade in your eyes can be dangerous. If it isn't <i>absolutely sterile</i> you could get an infection.

Visine has a powerful astringent called 'tetrahydrozoline' which is why it is so effective. It also contains anti-microbial agents to maintain sterility. Saline solution is just a wash and has no medicinal effect and can easily become contaminated. It may flush out pollen and other irritants but it won't provide any other effect.

John and Sharon must be insiders to the eyecare industry. Indoctrinated! "Gotta buy our industry's drops and solutions--it's the ONLY way!"

I did exactly what Kathy suggests for years and years, not to save money, but rather because most eyedrops--as in John's example--contain bizarre chemicals. I never had a problem. (Not to mention taking a shower every day, which gets water in the eye... oh, and swimming in pools, lakes, rivers and oceans, and even getting gnats right in my eye, just like you have.)

Now, I've done this web search for a recipe to make my own saline because I'm having a new problem--my eyes are becoming sensitive in an allergic sense to all the chemicals that are in eyedrops and saline solutions, and I need to wet my eyes with something because I'm post-Lasik.

(The reason for my Lasik? I stopped being able to wear contacts because my eyes became allergic to the solutions all contact lenses come in. Thanks again, eyecare industry.)

What I'm finding is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (can use non iodized) in 8oz water (can use distilled). You may boil the solution as well as the droppers.

Add a pinch of baking soda if it's for nasal irrigation.