Homemade Motorcycle Sissy Bar

Category Miscellaneous
Sissy bars are a small backrest for the passenger on a motorcycle and can add comfort and stability. This guide is about making a homemade motorcycle sissy bar.

I love riding on my boyfriend's motorcycle but the passenger seat isnt too passenger friendly. Without installing a sissy bar, you will be sliding around the back which may cause the wheel well to rub or, worse, you can slide off. My boyfriend doesnt like the sissy bar look, and mounting/detaching one every time I ride with him can be a hassle. To purchase a detachable sissybar was far too expensive.

I thought if I could just put something that would fit on the little space to keep me from sliding off then it hit me. I took a piece of packaging foam that was shaped like a rectangle and I cut the top side off, to make it snug behide the license plate. This would act like a cushion wall which would keep me from sliding off. Since it's foam, it's lightweight, won't scratch the paint and far more comfortable than mounting hardware brackets.

Last but not least, it's detachable. When I get off the bike I just remove it and store it in my helmet for future use.

Top Comment

Yeah the picture is pretty dark. I took some in the day but already submitted this entree. The foam fits snug so you wont worry about it flying away. The ones I took you can not really see but hopefully you get the idea.

I made a sissy bar alternative with foam. Now I thought to decorate it with more of a biker theme. I used black Gorilla tape and printed patches from online on paper and then cut them out and affixed them with glue and clear tape to secure. I took a piece of fake jewelry chain to add a more biker look.

This project basically was free because it was made with things I already had around the house. I'm proud of this idea and do use it every time I ride. The comfort and safety is like day and night.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes